16

"Hi, Kook!" Yeojin beamed through the phone, greeting Jungkook with a false persona of happiness. She still hadn't told him about her father — in fact, he thought she was perfectly fine.

She told him she'd started writing again, which was a lie, and that everything was going well. She hated lying but she didn't want him to worry. He had one more week of testing left before he could come home, then she'd tell him the truth.

"Hey, angel. I miss you."

"I miss you too!"

"What are you doing? Having fun?" He asked.

"Yup, just sitting in the park, relaxing. I want to bask in this beautiful weather before it starts to rain again."

"That's good. Throw some bread to the birds for me," He laughed.  "I have to go now, though. Love you."

"I love you too," She said softly. After ending the call, she looked at her father's headstone. "I hate lying to him, dad. Why'd you have to leave me?"

"He can't hear you. Could you leave so I can be alone with my dad?"

Yeojin's head snapped towards her sister, "Why the fuck do you want to be alone with him if he 'can't hear' you? Go away, Byeol."

Byeol snorted with her arms crossed and eyes narrowing down at her sister, "Yeojin, he's my dad, not yours. Do you think he'd want you here?"

She held a twisted smile on her lips, eyes never moving from Yeojin's, an eyebrow lifted mockingly.

Yeojin stood from her father's grave and walked away, letting the diabolical bitch win. She'd be damned if she let that girl tell her the man that loved and raised her wasn't her father — even if he wasn't biologically, he was her dad and she would always acknowledge him as such. 

On any other day, she'd grab Byeol by her pin-straight hair and shove her in an empty grave nearby — but she wasn't in the mood. She missed her boyfriend, she missed her father, and her confidence in writing was too damaged to write her feelings down on paper. 

She needed to get the hell away.

Yeojin sat in the bar throwing back shot after shot

Yeojin sat in the bar throwing back shot after shot. She'd tried multiple things during her short time at the bar from something sweet to something bitter that burned as it slithered down her throat.

She needed this. She needed the distraction. She was lying to her boyfriend pretending she was okay when she miserably wanted to talk to him about it and sink in his embrace.

When the bartender cut her off for the night, she drunkenly spat profanities and gave him the finger. She stumbled out of the bar and made her way down the street, ignoring the wolf whistles, illicit behavior from people in alleys, and the rain that started to pour down slowly.

She entered the little cafe that she and Jungkook had been to countless amount of times and slipped into the same booth they always sat in. She traced the letters that were carved into the side of the booth with her overgrown lavender nails.

She and Jungkook's initials that they'd secretly engraved there one night on a drunken stupor. She smiled as she thought back to that night. It was back when they were just friends. Even though he swore to never get her drunk again, he did.

They went out and drank like their lives depended on it. They got kicked out of the bar that night — just like Yeojin had this one. They went to the cafe and scoffed down sweets and hot chocolate before Yeojin had the brilliant idea of pulling out her pocket knife and carving a heart into the table.

Jungkook was the one who suggested they put their initials — so future customers could know that they'd been there.

They actually confessed to each other that night. After marking their territory and filling their bellies, they said they loved each other and shared their first kiss. Too bad they were too drunk to remember even a second of it, or else they would've gotten together sooner.

The water droplets from her hair hit the table. They started to spill over the side of the table when they were wiped away and a jacket was placed over Yeojin's shoulders.

She looked up to see the familiar bronze-skinned girl from the auction months ago. Hair pulled back into a low bun with coily bangs sitting above her eyes. Dimples on the corner of each orb from the bright smile that beautified her face. Leslie.

She placed a cup of hot chocolate in front of Yeojin with a couple of cookies before rubbing her shoulder and disappearing back into the kitchen.

She could tell something was going on with Yeojin which is why she simply smiled and went on her way. She wasn't one to pry, especially when someone wasn't in their right state of mind — as she found that very unethical and conniving.

Yeojin sipped the hot chocolate slowly. Her eyes growing heavy as the warm potation traveled from her mouth to her stomach which was filled with nothing but alcohol.

After inhaling the fresh, double chocolate chip cookies, Yeojin's eyes closed and her head dropped to the table. Low snores left from her mouth, making Leslie relax as she thought the girl had passed out or worse.

"Come on, let me take you home." Leslie said softly as she shook Yeojin awake.

Yeojin woke up the next morning to two strong arms holding her

Yeojin woke up the next morning to two strong arms holding her. The person's breath hit the back of her neck and a single leg was thrown over her waist.

There was only one person that held her like that.

She turned around to see her baby-faced boyfriend in a deep slumber. His lips were parted like always and his nose twitched every now and then.

Yeojin rested her hand on his cheek and caressed it with her thumb. She leaned forward and pressed a kiss on his nose, then both cheeks, and finally his lips. She pouted when he didn't wake up.

She pushed his hair from his face and analyzed it deeply, ignoring the pounding headache she had. Puffy eyes, stained cheeks, red lips from nibbling on them profusely — something he did when he was nervous, sad, or angry.

Yeojin shook Jungkook's shoulders to wake him up, "Kookie," His eyes shot open and when they connected with hers, he bit his lip, peeling off another piece of skin. She softly ran her thumb down his bottom to pull it from between his teeth. "When did you get here? What's wrong?"

His lips trembled for a second before he regained his composure and removed his arms from around her — instantly wanting to cradle her again since it would be his last time, "We need to talk. Meet me in the kitchen after I shower."

Jungkook got out of bed without sparing her a second glance and rushed to the bathroom. He stripped out of his clothes and got into the shower, slapping his hand over his mouth to keep the sobs from being heard.

"Why, Lord? Why?" He cried. "I'm hurting her!" He dropped to the floor and hugged his knees, rocking back and forth, trying to gain the strength to go face her for the last time.

Meanwhile, Yeojin was in his kitchen pacing back and forth. He never sounded that serious. Not to her at least. It was as if all of the love he had for her had deteriorated.

The door opened and Jungkook exited his room with his head down. He motioned towards the couch, "You should sit."