aftermath

caleb's pov

awkwardly, i bit my lip, as annie and sarai giggled and freaked out on the couch. they were catching up after not seeing each other for months, and i got that, but it was a little bit uncomfortable considering the situation. blake then joined them, practically ripping my sister away from her friend. my dad was catching up with brynn's in the kitchen, whilst my mom and her's were upstairs trying to get brynn to leave her sisters' bathroom. after she told me to get gone, she stormed past me and into sarai's room, and locked herself in the shared bathroom. however, before her mom could get in through poppie's door, she locked it.

when my family planned this surprise reunion for brynn's birthday last month, i really did not expect this result. and now i had to awkwardly wait in the living room to resolve this issue i had caused. i didn't even realise what i was doing as i was doing it, and i didn't even comprehend the hurt i would cause her.

"okay, so she's not coming out anytime soon." my mom said, as her and brynn's came down the stairs. they both looked at my sympathetically. "she's stopped crying, though. i think i heard her throwing things."

"oh god. she's in a rage." blake replied. i didn't know how to respond. i knew this was all my fault, and i was ready to own up to that, but i was surrounded by her family, and needless to say i was feeling very uncomfortable. they were all making me feel very secure, 'how could i have known this would upset her', 'everyone makes mistakes', blah blah blah. i just wanted to talk to brynn, apologise to brynn; i just wanted to see brynn.

pov

upstairs, a fragile girl had trapped herself in a room, blocking both exits. her family and friends were anxiously waiting for her to join them, patiently standing by for her to calm down and talk about her feelings. but she, in this moment, never planned on talking about her feelings. she had a whole plan to stay in the bathroom forever. brynn wasn't one to trust, to open up or to forgive. and for her boyfriend, she had already done two of those things, and she never planned on doing the third. and in reference to her mother hearing things being thrown, there was several bath and hygiene products scattered across the floor. 

then, brynn snapped out of her rage, and slowly started putting things back. she was embarrassed with herself, she had tried so hard to become a calmer person, someone who was more mature, and all of that progress had gone down the drain. at the same time, the boy had worked up the courage to walk upstairs. he made his way to poppie's bedroom door. he cautiously entered, and sat on her bed; a single bed placed conveniently placed in the middle of the room. whilst he mustered up the things he wanted to say, brynn made her way towards the door to sarai's room. as she unlocked the door, the girl broke down once more. after a few paces, silencing her sobs with a hand over the mouth, she slid down against the door to poppie's room.

"brynn, can you please come out of there so we can talk?" he asked, putting his head in his hands. when she heard his voice, it became harder to silence her cries.

"i don't want to talk, caleb." she emotionally replied. hearing the pain in her voice broke the boys heart. he made his way to the bathroom door, and slid down the wood, mirroring his girlfriend.

"brynn, we have to talk about this-"

"-i don't want to see you right now!"

"okay! we don't have to talk, just please let me in. just knowing that you are breaking in their is tearing me apart. just let me hold you, please." 

there was simply more silence for a while, until the sound of a lock clicking broke that. brynn had reached behind her and unlocked the door. as much as she disliked the boy right now, her heart was yearning to be held. caleb scrambled to get into the bathroom, before the girl changed her mind. when he joined her on the bathroom floor, she looked up at him, and he saw for the first time how much his actions had hurt her. he went to apologise again, but she just shook her head and rested it on his shoulder. without hesitation, he pulled her onto his lap and held her tightly. and although she wanted to wrap her arms around him too, she just lay against his chest, and forgot his betrayal for a moment.