the truth

"i can't believe you're here!" i exclaimed, practically suffocating caleb with how hard i hugged him. our parents were catching up downstairs, and my boyfriend to my room. he chuckled at my excited, attempting to hug me back (although he must have found this hard as i was restricting his movement with my new found strength). 

"you didn't think i would miss your birthday, did you?" he asked, with a cheeky smile plastered across his face.

"well, considering you've been ignoring me for the past few weeks, who could blame me?" i raised my eyebrows and waited for his response. "okay."

caleb sat on my bed, and gestured for me to join him. i happily did so, and sat with my legs crossed. after my comment, the vibe completely changed. caleb went from being ecstatic, to almost guilty. i started to become incredibly worried. what had he done?

"well, in california, annie and i are on a show-"

"i know, it's so great!"

"brynn." he rested his hand on my thigh, and continued. "and in that show, i play a love interest of one of the main girls."

"is that why you've been ignoring me recently? do you like her?" i pulled away from him, and looked at him. i could feel the pain in my eyes. 

"no! can you just let me tell you?" he almost raised his voice, and stood up. seeing caleb annoyed truly shook me, and i jumped. i felt old brynn coming out, and i stood up too.

"fine, go ahead." i snapped, throwing my arms up, and then folding them. 

"okay, i will! on the show, the producers want me to kiss her. it was part of the script." he was flustered. 

"did you kiss her?" i asked, quietly. 

"brynn, i signed a contract! it's my job-"

"did you kiss her?" this time i asked with more emotion, and this time it was me who almost raised my voice.

"i-i-"

"it's a yes or no question, caleb! did you kiss her?"

"yes!" i think me pressuring him to answer caused him to crack, as he shouted. i felt my face drop. it's not the fact that he kissed, he's an actor! i get that it's in the job description. but, he ignored me for weeks, and he didn't tell me about the kiss. what if i was scrolling through youtube one day and came across the episode? or if i saw it on instagram. caleb thought he was gonna get away with not telling me about the kiss, he thought that just ignoring me and letting it go away was the solution. "brynn? say something."

i slowly looked from the ground to his face, with only one thing on my mind. i shrugged my shoulders, and let it out. "fuck you."