Chapter Six

CHAPTER SIX

Loki was the first one up the next morning, and although it was July, the draperies in their room were drawn, so it was impossible to tell what time it was. He squinted at the clock. Eight fifteen. Not too early.

Then he heard it—Selig and Aislinn were giggling about something, and their combined laughter was enough to make him smile as well. There was almost no sound in the world as beautiful as that of his children laughing. It was pure and silvery and he eased into flannel pants and a navy blue Henley before making his way toward the hallway.

He stopped in the nursery first. It would eventually be solely Nicholas' room, but for now he and his sister shared it and both were fast asleep. He smiled as he covered Kyra with her blanket, which she’d kicked off in her sleep. At six weeks old, her hair was still pale blonde, while Nicholas had thick dark hair like Selig and Aislinn. She was definitely her mother’s daughter, which made Loki smile even more. It seemed only fair at least one of McKenna's children should resemble her.

Kyra opened her eyes then and blinked up at him, dimples showing in her cheeks as she smiled. He held a finger to his lips and whispered, “Shhh, little bit… don’t wake your brother.”

She didn’t make a sound as he scooped her up from her crib to bring to the maple changing table. He changed her, bundled her into a fresh pale green sleeper, and cradled her against his shoulder as he whispered, “Let’s go see what the other two are up to, shall we?”

Kyra snuggled against him, smelling sweetly of lavender scented baby powder and Loki couldn’t help brushing her soft cheek with a kiss. “Daddy loves you, little bit. You should only know how much.”

He followed the sound of Selig and Aislinn's laughter, found them in the family room watching SpongeBob SquarePants, and smiled as he carried Kyra into the kitchen. Fortunately, McKenna wasn’t entirely adverse to alternating between breast milk and formula and so it took only a flick of his fingers to have a bottle ready for Kyra.

She took the bottle easily and he brought her into the family room. “How long have the two of you been up?”

Aislinn looked up with a brilliant smile. “Morning, Daddy.”

“I got up around seven, Daddy.” Selig peered over his shoulder. “And Aislinn came down only a few minutes ago. Where’s Nicky?”

“He and Mommy are still sleeping.” Loki settled on the sofa. “Which episode are we watching?”

Band Geeks,” Selig said, turning back to the television. “It’s my favorite one.”

Loki didn’t see the appeal of a sponge who lived in a pineapple under the sea, but both Selig and Aislinn loved it, giggling over the cartoon practically every morning. Still, he settled back with Kyra and watched as well, still not seeing the appeal.

When Kyra was finished, Loki held her to his shoulder and patted her back and looked up as McKenna came into the room with Nicholas. “Well, about time you woke up,” he said with a grin.

She smiled back, settling next to him on the sofa to give Nicholas his bottle. “How long have you guys been down here?”

“Selig says he’s been up since seven, I came down a little after eight and Aislinn was only a few minutes before me.”

“So no one’s had breakfast yet?”

Selig shook his head. “No, Mommy. Can we have pancakes?”

“Waffles!” Aislinn chimed.

“How about eggs?” McKenna offered. “I can’t make both pancakes and waffles and feed your brother.”