Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

After the children were all tucked in for the night, McKenna, feeling restless, made her way to the observatory. "Hi, Heimdall," she said, her heart starting to beat a little faster. "Can you see Loki?"

He nodded. "I can, Your Highness. He is on Titan, in your solar system. He searches for Thanos, but hasn't found him yet."

A wistful sigh rose to her lips. "But he's all right?"

"He is fine, Your Highness. His thoughts are on you at the moment." She pressed her fingertips to her lips as Heimdall gave her a smile. "He misses you. And the children. He wants only to finish his duty and come home."

She moved to the window overlooking the cosmos and managed a smile. "I miss him, Heimdall. I'm so worried about him."

"He is fine at the moment. Just a little homesick, I believe you call it."

Blinking back tears, she turned to smile at him. "Thank you, Heimdall."

"Your Highness, if I may," Heimdall came down from his dais. "When you were sent back to Midgard and Loki was taken back to the dungeon, I'd crafted a viewer for him, so he could see you whenever he wished."

"You did?"

He nodded. "Yes. He could see you in your time, and watch over you until Thor was able to free him." He held out one hand. In his palm sat a small golden cube. "I do not know how far it will reach, but for now you may do the same."

"Oh, Heimdall..." She took the box, her eyes overflowing even as she smiled. "How do I work it?"

"There is a notch on the bottom. You need only pass your finger over it."

As he spoke, he demonstrated and she bit her bottom lip as Loki appeared before her. He was walking along unfamiliar terrain, looking exhausted. Their night was catching up with him. She fairly ached to touch him, but when she reached out, her fingers passed through the golden mist, disrupting the picture for several seconds.

"Thank you, Heimdall," she whispered, tears streaking down her cheeks. "Thank you."

"He loves you, my lady. And he will do whatever he must to come home to you."

She nodded, swiping at her cheek with one hand. "I know he does." She looked up at him. "And I know he will. And I will try not to pester you."

"Worry not. When you were missing, when Lord Selig was missing, Loki was here most of the day, every day. I do not find it pestering at all. You are his wife. You worry for him. Not everyone is so fortunate to have someone who cares so deeply for them."

Her cheeks were damp, but her tears stopped as she nodded again. "He's my life."

"And you are his. Never doubt that."

She didn't, and she thanked Heimdall again and left, bidding him a good night. Cradling the golden box in her hand, she strolled back toward her and Loki's chambers.

"Princess?"

She looked up as Sif approached. "What's up, Sif?"

"I came to see how you were faring."

"I'm a mess, but thank you." She stopped, waiting for Sif to catch up to her. "I was just seeing Heimdall, making a pain of myself."

"Oh, I highly doubt he sees it that way." Sif linked her arm through McKenna's. "Are you holding up?"

"I think so. I've only cried about a dozen times today." McKenna managed to smile even as she let out a shaky sigh. "I'm a wreck, Sif. I just want him to come home and I'm terrified that he won't. Neither one of us thinks he will."