Chapter Thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY

“Daddy…”

“What is it, little bit?” Loki peered sideways at Aislinn, whose head rested on his shoulder, her arms firmly about his neck. She’d clung to him most of the night, which was fine by him. Selig was off with his friends, but Aislinn was so very reluctant to let Loki from her sight and he wanted to make certain she knew he wasn’t leaving—or going to be gone, as she put it—any time soon. If that meant holding his little girl all night, he’d do it. If it meant sitting up with her all night, he’d do it. Anything to put her little mind at ease.

“I’m scared to let go.” She lifted her head to regard him with sleepy green eyes. McKenna's eyes. Her hair was tangled and matted on the side that had been pressed into him. “What if you go again?”

“Sweetling,” he curved his hand against her cheek, “I didn’t really go. It was all pretend.”

“I was sad, Daddy. That was real.”

Guilt sliced through him and he tightened his arm about her, “I know, princess. And I am so sorry I made you sad. That’s the last thing I would ever want to do, baby girl.”

“My lord, a word?”

Loki held up his hand as Warrick, one of the Royal Guard, approached. “One moment.” He turned back to Aislinn. “But I promise you, I am not going anywhere again.”

Her eyes were luminous as she solemnly nodded. “Promise?”

He stroked along her soft cheek with his thumb. “I promise you, baby girl.”

“Okay.” She kissed his cheek. “I love you, Daddy.”

“Oh, I love you, too, sweetling,” He squeezed her, smiling as she let out a tired laugh. It was amazing, really, how the smile of one little girl could mean so much to him. He hated knowing he caused her and Selig pain, even more so than he hated having to hurt McKenna the way he had. She understood. His children, on the other hand, had been used as pawns in Odin's plan and even though Loki understood why, it infuriated him all the same. Another promise he’d make, to himself, to McKenna, and to the children—he would never use them as pawns again. Ever.

She tightened her arms about his neck and her head came to rest on his shoulder once more. He eased his hand beneath the edge of her fleece top to stroke her back gently, smiling as she sighed and her head grew heavy against him. “Daddy…” she murmured, and tears pricked the backs of his eyes. Of all the things he’d ever been called, Daddy was his favorite.

He blinked back those tears before turning his attention back to the guard. “What is it, Warrick?”

“Do you need to put Her Highness to bed?”

“She’s fine.” He gave Aislinn a gentle squeeze, the warmth from her little body seeping into him, making him feel a little drowsy himself. “What did you need?”

“I understand you and the princess are planning to return to Midgard. I wished to offer my services. I know Royce usually travels with Her Highness, but if you wish, I would be willing to do so instead.”

“Why?”

Warrick’s brow furrowed. “I thought you were uncomfortable with his being in her presence.”

Loki glanced over his shoulder at McKenna, who sat with Sif and the Warriors Three, sipping a glass of wine. Damn, she looked angelically beautiful and someone must have said something amusing, for she threw her head back to laugh, which made him bite back a groan.