Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE

It was almost three-thirty by the time McKenna was steering her new black Honda Pilot into the driveway. She reached to push a button on the steering wheel and the middle bay garage door slid up. Although she was used to parking in the garage, and had been for a number of years, she still held her breath as she eased in and slid the transmission into park.

She stepped through a gunmetal gray fire door into the basement that doubled as Loki's mancave, although he rarely used it. It was fully finished and spacious, with leather La-Z-Boy recliners and a state of the art home theatre. It was dark and quiet, but she smiled as she heard the sounds of laughter coming from the kitchen.

Being out with Shannon—or Shay, as she preferred—had done wonders for McKenna's spirits. Shannon was a newlywed, having only married Tony last fall, and shocked the hell out of McKenna a few weeks earlier by announcing she was pregnant. So they spent a good part of their afternoon giggling over baby stuff at Babies R Us while McKenna made mental notes for a baby shower.

Now, she climbed up the stairs and emerged into the kitchen to find Loki, Aislinn, and Selig at the kitchen table playing Go Fish, while Nicholas and Kyra watched from their bouncy chairs.

She paused in the doorway, leaning against the jamb. They were laughing loudly enough that no one heard her and she smiled. Her family. How the hell could her father simply turn his back on them? She couldn't imagine ever doing it herself and certainly couldn't imagine Loki walking away from them.

Aislinn threw her arms around Loki's neck. "Threes, Daddy?"

"Go fish, little bit."

Aislinn smiled as she turned her head and her gaze fell on McKenna, and McKenna could almost see the joy in the air. "Mommy!"

Loki twisted in his chair to smile. "Back already, love?"

"Well, Shay still has a few months to go, so we were more looking than buying today. She's not due until September."

Selig slid down from his chair and ran up to throw his arms about her waist. "Mommy!"

"Are you guys having fun?" she asked, rumpling his hair.

"We pway Go Fish!" Aislinn called, untangling herself from Loki to join Selig. "Come pway, Mommy."

"I will. Let me get in the door first, okay?"

Aislinn and Selig reluctantly let go of her and she moved to set her purse and car keys on the desk. "Does anyone need anything?" she asked as she moved to the fridge.

"More chocolate milk, please," Selig said, grabbing his glass. "Aislinn?"

"Yes!"

He grabbed hers as well and carried them over. McKenna fixed the chocolate milk, then reached for the bottle of wine on the bottom door rack. She hesitated, then put the bottle back as Nicholas began crying.

"What's the matter, little?" she asked, crossing over to the kitchen table, where Kyra was busy studying her hands as she flexed and then clenched her fingers.

"He's probably hungry." Loki started to rise from his chair. "His last bottle was at noon."

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be gone so long." She unbuckled Nicholas and lifted him from the seat.

"Don't apologize, love. I don't care. You're allowed a day off."

"Sit. I've got him." She cradled Nicholas against her shoulder and leaned to brush Loki's cool cheek with a kiss. "I'll be in the family room."