Chapter Thirty-Four

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

Loki eased the Mustang into its bay and killed the engine. "I'll get Selig, you grab Aislinn."

She smiled over at him. "Remember when it was us barely making it in the door before clothes were being pulled off?"

"Which, if I'm not mistaken," he grinned as he eased out of his seat, "is how we ended up with Selig, Aislinn and twins."

She flipped her seat forward and as quietly as she could, unbuckled Aislinn's car seat. "I didn't hear you complain at the time," she whispered.

Selig sighed in his sleep as Loki carefully maneuvered him into his arms. Backing out of the car and closing the door with his hip, Loki said, "I'm not completely mad, you know."

Aislinn snuggled into McKenna's neck, not stirring as the car door banged shut. McKenna followed Loki up the short flight of steps into the basement, and from there, up the stairs into the kitchen.

They parted ways at the top of the stairs and after setting Aislinn in her bed and tugging the blankets into place, McKenna brushed a kiss over her forehead and whispered, "Sweet dreams, little bit."

From there, she went back below, into the family room, where Allison was sound asleep on the sofa, tucked beneath the pink and black afghan McKenna's mother crocheted for her when McKenna was in high school.

She gave Allison a gentle shake. "Allie, we're home?"

Allison's eyelids rose and her voice was thick with sleep as she said, "Mrs. Odinson?"

"Let me get my keys and I'll drive you home."

Loki came into the family room then. "I've got her, love. You go on up to bed awhile."

Allison sat up, rubbing one eye. "It's three houses away, Mr. Odinson. I can walk."

"Perhaps, but in this neighborhood, three houses is almost a mile. I'll drive you." He jangled the keys in his palm. "How were the twins?"

"They were fine. Nicky was a little fussy about dinner. He wanted nothing to do with the carrots, but Kyra was an angel. They're getting so big already."

McKenna smiled over at Loki. "That's what happens when your father is giant, isn't it?"

Loki chuckled. "Good genes."

Allison stood, refolding the afghan to drape over the back of the sofa. "I'm going to miss sitting for them next year."

"Do you have any idea where you want to go to school?" McKenna asked as Allison picked up her purse from the coffee table and her jacket from the chair in the corner.

"I've applied to Rutgers, UConn, Penn State, and Miami. We'll see what happens." Allison shrugged into her jacket. "But, when I'm home, I'll gladly sit for you any time."

McKenna smiled. "Selig will be happy to hear that. Aislinn, too. I think they were disappointed they couldn't stay home tonight."

"Come on, then," Loki said, gesturing toward the kitchen. "Before it gets much later."

"Goodnight, Mrs. Odinson."

"G'night, Allie."

The basement door shut and McKenna sighed as she made her way back upstairs. She checked in on Selig, who was sound asleep, curled into a little ball on his side. All she could see of him was the black hair peeping up from beneath the covers, and she brushed her fingers over those curls. "Sweet dreams, little man. You made us all so proud tonight."

She peeked in on the twins, sound asleep in their cribs, and as she was laying a hand on Kyra's back, Loki snuck up behind her and slipped his arm about her waist. "They're fine, love," he whispered, his lips brushing her ear. "Let's go to bed."