Chapter Twenty-Five

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

McKenna didn't know how long they lay there, on the banks of the Sølvfoss, and she didn't care. All that mattered was that she was in Loki's arms, her head resting on his chest, his heart beating low and steady beneath her ear.

They made love once more, and now were lying tangled in each other. She didn't know what time it was. She didn't care. Her fingers moved lightly over his belly, down along the soft black happy trail and back up. Loki sighed softly and with a lazy swish of his hand, sent up green and gold sparklers into the night sky.

"I was wondering if you were still awake," she murmured, rising onto her elbow to gaze down at him. In the moonlight, his pale skin took on the same silvery hue as the Sølvfoss, his brows thick black slashes against his skin.

"I am, but only barely." His fingertips grazed along her spine, down over the curve of her backside, and came back up. "I look forward to sleeping with you again, love. I've missed you at night."

"You just slept with me."

"Funny." He smiled at her. "I mean actually sleeping. I haven't slept much these past weeks. I find I rest much easier when you're cuddled against me."

"Me, too. I've barely slept at all since you left. Eir threatened to drug me if I didn't start sleeping better."

He chuckled softly, his arm slipping about her shoulders. "I can imagine she did."

She sighed softly as his eyes closed. "I thought I would never do this again, Loki. When we did your funeral, and you-or whoever it was-floated by in that boat, it was like being stabbed by Ward all over again. I thought I would never see your beautiful face again. Or hear your voice. Or your laugh. Or feel your lips on me-" Her voice cracked and his arm tightened about her.

"You need never fear that," he whispered, pulling her down to kiss the top of her head. "It would take all of the gods in the universe to drag me from you."

She squeezed her eyes shut and snuggled against him once more. "I certainly hope so."

"I promise."

They lay quietly for a little while longer and she traced her fingertip lightly against his chest. "Loki?"

"What, love?"

"Who was that who died as you?"

"He was a guard. One of Thanos' who obviously displeased him in some way. But as it turned out, I could use him, which sounds cold and I know it does, but I needed him."

"So you made him look like you and left him to be found?"

"I called Heimdall and told him. Remember, he and Odin both knew."

She scowled. "It seems everyone but me knew."

"Not everyone. Just Odin, Heimdall, and son of Coul." He rolled over then, and pinned her beneath him. "And you know why I couldn't tell you."

"I know, but I still don't like it."

"I know." He bent to kiss her softly. "I love you."

She smiled as she wound her arms about his neck. "I do love hearing that again."

"I will say it as often as you need to hear it, McKenna."

"You have no idea what it felt like, to know I'd never see you again."

"I saw you, love. I could almost feel your pain. If there was something I could do to make it more bearable, I would have. But I couldn't, not without revealing myself to you."