Chapter Thirty-Five

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE

The Jersey shore was one of McKenna's favorite places in any of the nine realms, and Bay Head was where they usually stayed. But this time, they rented a house instead of staying at the Winchester, which wasn't exactly a family-friendly B&B. They were right on the beach, and McKenna smiled as she stood at one of the many windows running along the rear of the house, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. A gentle breeze wafted through the open, airy room, and she felt the last of her tension drain away.

October was one of the best times to be at the shore, as it was still warm enough to play on the beach, even if the water itself was a little too cool for swimming, and since the tourist season was officially over, it wasn't nearly as crowded, yet the boardwalk was still open for business. And seeing as how Selig was only in kindergarten, neither she nor Loki had a problem with pulling him out of school for a week. They needed the time together and that was far more important.

"What's on your mind, love?" Loki murmured as he came up behind her and slid his arms about her waist. "You look a thousand miles from here."

"I'm not. I'm right here, enjoying this moment," she told him, leaning back into him and covering his hands with hers.

"Mmmm..." He swayed gently against her and she closed her eyes as his lips moved along the slope of her shoulder. "This moment is a good one."

"That it is."

He sighed softly, giving her a gentle squeeze. "The twins are out. Aislinn and Selig are playing in their rooms. I promised them we'd go to the boardwalk tonight and Selig is already asking for funnel cake."

She couldn't hold back her chuckle. "He is his father's son."

"You say that as if it is a bad thing."

"It isn't." She peered up at him over her shoulder and shook her head. "Not at all. But it made those weeks we thought you were gone that much more difficult. You have no idea how hard it was to look at him and see you, when I thought I'd lost you forever." She sighed softly. "Every time I looked at his face, I saw you, Loki. He looks so much like you, he acts so much like you... and all I could think was, who is going to teach him how to use his gifts? I don't know magic. Odin doesn't. Frigga is gone and you were gone."

He tightened his arms about her. "If that really ever happened, Odin has my mother's journals and keeps them in his private library. Frigga was an avid writer and kept detailed diaries. When we return to Asgard, I'll show you where they are. They should have everything he would need."

"He said he'd found a book and the Allfather let him keep it. Maybe it was one of those journals."

"Maybe. I'd have to see it." He kissed the top of her head. "Why don't we go sit out on the deck and enjoy the quiet for a little while? Maybe have a drink before dinner?"

"Are you trying to get me drunk, Mr. Odinson?"

His laugh rumbled softly in her ear. "You plus alcohol usually equals Loki getting lucky, so maybe."

"So you like to tell me."

"Tell me I'm wrong."

"I didn't say that." She smiled at him over her shoulder. "I'll go open a bottle of wine, you go find us a shady spot on the deck."

"A shady spot? Love, the sun isn't that strong now."

She shook her head. "It's really just kind of a figure of speech, Loki. You know, I still haven't given up hope that one day you'll understand everything I say."

"I can honestly say I doubt that will ever happen, darling girl." He gave her another squeeze and stepped back. "There are times when you talk in riddles."