Chapter Thirty-Six

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

The wind blowing in off the ocean was cool, but once they made their way between the stands, it went still and grew warmer. They stopped for pizza (which Loki loved almost as much as Selig and Aislinn did) and then, as promised, for funnel cake.

McKenna smiled as they sat down on one of the beachfront benches. The twins napped in their stroller, oblivious to everything, and she sat back to watch as Selig and Aislinn climbed up onto Loki's lap-each one claiming a thigh-to share the funnel cake. She couldn't tell who enjoyed it more, but at least no one fought over it, and she eased her iPhone from her purse to take a picture of the three of them.

Sometimes, when she thought about what her life had been like prior to Loki's unceremonious crash into her apartment, it amazed her that all the things she thought she didn't want or would never have, were now what she treasured most. She'd never been one to dream of the days when she had children, far preferring her independence over child-rearing. Nor did she think she would ever settle down, since every guy she dated seemed to be more Mr. Right-Now than Mr. Right. And she'd been perfectly happy.

But now, as she sat back and watched Loki break off a piece of funnel cake for Aislinn and laugh at something Selig said, she couldn't believe she'd ever been happy alone. That she'd never wanted the things she now knew she could never be without. And when Loki looked over at her and winked, her heart actually skipped a beat. He still had the ability to take her breath away. He probably always would.

Selig looked over and smiled. "Want some, Mommy?"

"Sure, if there's any left."

He pointed to the plate. "How about that one, Daddy?"

"You don't think that's too much? Mommy's pretty tiny. I don't know if she can eat that much."

Aislinn nodded. "It's fine, Daddy. Right, Selig?"

Loki broke off the piece Selig pointed out and gave it to him to hand to her. It was delicious, with just the right amount of powdered sugar and she sighed softly. Boardwalk funnel cake was one of the treasures of the Jersey shore.

Loki leaned around Selig and brushed her lips with a teasingly light kiss. "You taste sweet, love," he murmured.

"I try."

Selig groaned, pulling off another piece of cake. "Daddy... ew..."

"Trust me, Sel, the time will come when you won't think it so ew."

Selig chewed thoughtfully on his piece of cake before shaking his head. "Nope, Daddy. I won't ever kiss anyone but Mommy."

"Me, neither," Aislinn declared. "Except for you, Daddy."

"Good. I don't want to think about either one of you kissing anyone for a very long time." Loki gently ruffled Selig's hair. "You'll give me gray hair, both of you."

"Why?" Selig asked, pulling off another piece of funnel cake before peering up at Loki.

"Because I want you and your brother and sisters to stay like this for as long as possible, that's why."

"That makes two of us," McKenna said, leaning her head against Loki's shoulder.

"Don't worry, Mommy." Selig handed her another piece of cake. "I don't want to give Daddy gray hair."

She smiled, trying to imagine Loki with anything other than his thick black hair. Impossible. "I'm sure he appreciates that, Sel."

"He does." Loki kissed the top of Selig's hair as he split the last piece of funnel cake into halves and gave one to him and one to Aislinn. "Why don't we see what rides are open?"