Chapter Forty-Three

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE

As he stepped out into Heimdall's observatory, Loki shifted Selig ever so gently, but Selig still let out a whimper. "Daddy..."

"I'm so sorry, Sel," Loki murmured, gazing down at him. Selig was still very pale, but the greenish tinge had returned. "Are you going to be sick again?"

"I don't know..."

"Just let me know if you are."

Heimdall came over to them. "Welcome home, my lords. Do you need Eir?"

Loki nodded. "We do. We think it's his appendix."

"Of course." Heimdall returned to his dais while Loki brought Selig out to the dock, where one of the ships was already waiting for them.

Loki sat as gently as he could and Selig snuggled closer. "Hang in there, little man. We're almost to Eir."

Selig nodded, his eyes closed. "Okay, Daddy."

They skimmed over the surface of the Asgard Sea, Loki doing his best to absorb any shocks or jostling, but guilt still pricked at him whenever Selig groaned. "Ow..."

"I'm sorry, love," Loki said, smoothing Selig's bushy hair away from his face. "It won't be much longer."

Selig opened his eyes. They were reddish and shiny with unshed tears. "Am I dying?"

"No, Sel. You aren't dying."

"Where's Mommy?"

"She had to get your brother and sisters ready to go. She'll be here as soon as she can." Loki sat back against the thinly padded seat, rocking Selig gently.

"Are we almost to Eir's?"

Loki lifted his head to squint out over the bow of the ship. The palace was still a ways off. "Almost, little man."

The greenish hue in Selig's skin darkened. "I'm gonna throw up again, Daddy."

"All right. I'm going to lift you up and when I do, lean forward, okay?" He didn't wait for Selig to respond, but shifted him in his arms, calling over his shoulder to the ship's captain, "Slow down!"

The ship ground to a halt as Selig leaned over the side and his stomach emptied itself into the sea. He coughed, heaved, and began crying once more even as Loki gently rubbed his back. "Don't cry, Sel," he murmured, kissing the back of Selig's head. "Everything is going to be just fine. I promise."

Selig went limp against him, trembling and damp with sweat. "It really hurts."

"I know it does, baby boy." Loki cradled him to his chest as an infuriating sense of helplessness washed over him. It was bad enough when it was McKenna suffering, but to know his child suffered and he could do nothing to stop it, was enough to make Loki grit his teeth and want to blast something into nothingness. But all he could do was rock Selig gently, smooth a hand over his hair, and whisper, "It won't for much longer, though. We're here."

The ship eased to a smooth stop and Loki carefully stepped from it to the dock, where Tyra was already waiting for them. "Heimdall alerted us and Eir has the soul forge ready. Shall I take him?"

She reached for him, but Loki tightened his hold on Selig. "I have him, Tyra."

Color rose against her cheekbones at his harsh tone. "Of course, my lord."

He brushed by her to hurry into Eir's chambers where the Healer offered up a serene smile. "I'm all ready for him, Loki. Just be gentle."

"Of course." Loki bent through the humming golden web, which reverberated softly through him, and placed Selig as gently as he could. Even so, Selig still winced and whimpered, "Ow..."