Chapter Twenty-Six

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX

McKenna rolled over and found herself staring at the ceiling. Her head ached. Her eyes felt swollen. But so what else was new? She spent most nights crying herself to sleep.

But she’d had the most wonderful dream. Loki was back. Everything was right again.

She smiled. But he promised her it wasn’t a dream, didn’t he? He promised her he’d be there.

Her hand stretched across the bed, to his side.

It was empty.

“No…” she whispered, flipping onto her side, her eyes stinging as she found herself staring at empty bed. Her heart skipped a beat. A sour taste rose in her mouth.

She let out a yelp when the bed dipped and a strong arm slid about her waist. “I brought you coffee, love,” Loki whispered, tugging her back against his chest. “I figured I’d be back before you woke.”

“Oh, thank God…” She sank into him, squeezing her eyes shut to keep the tears at bay. “I thought I was alone… that I’d dreamed yesterday.”

He gave her a gentle squeeze. “No. You didn’t dream it, darling girl. If you’d woken up half an hour earlier or five minutes later, you’d have seen me here. I’ve been up since a little after seven and I just put Selig back in his bed.”

She swallowed the rising sob and elbowed him gently. “You almost gave me a heart attack.”

“Ow… sorry, darling girl. I thought I would be back before you woke.” He brushed her hair to the side and bent to kiss her shoulder. “Your son talks in his sleep, you know.”

“I know. But he doesn’t make any sense.”

“Oh, good. I thought it was just me.”

She peered at him over her shoulder. “Why were you up so early?”

“I don’t know. I just woke up. I laid here, watching you and Sel sleep. You both snore.”

“I do not snore.”

He grinned. “Oh, but you do. You snore. He snores and talks in his sleep. It’s no wonder you both look so wiped out.”

“That’s hardly the reason.”

His grin faded. “I know.”

“I could punch the Allfather, you know.”

“That probably wouldn’t be wise.” Loki sat up and reached for the cup on the nightstand, which he held out to her. “You look as if you could use this.”

She sat up, taking the cup. “I feel like I could sleep for another week.”

“So take it easy today. Nap. Go down to the beach and lay in the sun.”

She sipped the coffee. Perfect. No one fixed her coffee the way he did. Even she didn’t make it taste quite as good. “What are you going to do?”

“Nothing. Nap. Or go down to the beach and lay in the sun. I just want to play with you and the kids.”

She took another sip of coffee and lowered the cup to her lap. “What happens now? Are those stones going to remain here?”

“Probably not. We’ll split them up. It isn't a good idea to keep Infinity Stones so close to one another.”

“Are you taking them anywhere?”

“I don’t plan on it. Thor can.”

She breathed a sigh of relief. “Good.”