Chapter Nineteen

CHAPTER NINETEEN

The moment she stepped into Heimdall's observatory, McKenna knew something was terribly, terribly wrong. Heimdall greeted them exactly as he did every time she returned to Asgard, but there was something in his demeanor that suggested things weren't as they should be.

"Good evening, Your Highness and welcome home." His voice sounded different. There was an underlying somber note to his greeting and as she moved closer, she saw his amber eyes were red.

"Heimdall..." Her voice quavered, her heartbeat speeding up so fast that her blood actually roared through her ears and with each beat of her pulse, black dots pounded before her eyes. Her palms grew damp. "What is it?"

"The Allfather needs to speak with you at once."

"Oh... no..." Her throat clenched but oddly enough, even as her belly revolted and a sour nausea tore through her, her eyes remained dry. "No, Heimdall... please... tell me it isn't what I think."

"Your Highness," Sif's voice was beyond soft as she stepped up to catch McKenna by the arm. "Let us go and speak with the Allfather and find out."

"No." McKenna fought to control the tremble that slowly spread through her. Her stomach bubbled and churned like the Asgard Sea during a storm, but she ignored it as she shook Sif off. "Heimdall, tell me I am wrong."

He bowed his head. "I am so sorry, Princess."

She drew in a deep breath as both Royce and Sif bowed their heads as well. "No. He is not dead. Loki is coming home."

But even as she argued, the dread in her belly, the iciness in her heart, told her otherwise and without looking back, she stormed from the gatehouse to the stable, where Ravn waited patiently for his master's return.

She rubbed his velvety nose and as he sniffed her hand, she whispered, "Sorry, bud. I don't have any sugar for you."

The horse nickered, his big sad brown eyes beseeching hers to make sugar materialize for him. Without thinking, she leaned her head against the side of his. "I'm sorry."

Stellan came over, his eyes were wide and shiny, but all he said was, "Shall I saddle him for you, Your Highness?"

She'd never ridden Ravn alone and probably couldn't control the gelding if she tried, but for some reason, she nodded. "Please."

"Of course."

A few minutes later, she was astride the massive horse, painfully aware of the fact that Loki's legs were not on either side of hers, that if she leaned back, she'd topple from the saddle instead of being braced by Loki's chest.

Ravn seemed to sense the change in the atmosphere, for he was as calm as she'd ever seen and although she waited for Royce and Sif to join her, she didn't acknowledge them as they made their way from the stables to the palace.

As the golden palace loomed before them, she closed her eyes. She didn't want to go inside. If she didn't, then Odin couldn't see her.

And if he couldn't see her, he couldn't tell her what she so desperately did not want to hear.

But, she had no choice.

"Your Highness, should I get the children?" Sif asked.

"No. Not yet." McKenna climbed down from Ravn's back and handed the reins to the page standing there. "Please, let me do this alone."

Sif nodded as she swung down from her mount, and quickly engulfed her in a tight embrace. "I am so sorry, McKenna," she whispered, her voice cracking. "So very sorry, indeed."