Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

McKenna was waiting for Loki in Heimdall's chambers. He'd wanted to say goodbye to the children alone, so she respected his wishes and waited for him there with Odin. No one said anything, the air heavy with the responsibility and knowledge of what Loki was about to do.

Heimdall was the first to break the heavy silence. "My lady, I will keep watch over him. I promise you this."

"I know you will, Heimdall. Unfortunately, all you can do is watch."

"If he appears to be in trouble," Odin said, his voice low, "I will send in troops to assist him."

She glanced up at her father-in-law. "It won't matter, I don't think. He would probably be dead by the time they arrived."

"Still, he will not be alone. Not entirely."

She nodded, looking away from him to the large window overlooking the cosmos. The black void of the universe was broken up by sparkling stars and nebulous clouds of pink and green. It would have been beautiful, under ordinary circumstances. But now, she only barely saw it. All she could see was the seriousness of Loki's expression as he gazed down at her and told her she shouldn't cry for him.

As if not crying for him, not mourning him, were even possible.

Finally, horse's hooves sounded in the distance and she looked to see Loki's huge black gelding Ravn trotting to a halt. Loki swung down from Ravn's back and calmly strode into the observatory.

He wasn't dressed in the heavy black and green leather and gold armor he'd been wearing the night they met, but was instead dressed in black and silver. Still, she was sure she'd never seen him look so handsome and her eyes stung with unshed tears yet again. She was so damn tired of crying, her head constantly aching from it, but couldn't seem to control it.

Loki was somber as he drew near them and his eyes were red. Her heart broke a little more, realizing how difficult it had to be for him to say goodbye to his children, knowing it might very well be the last time he ever saw them-at least in this life.

"Are you certain you don't wish Thor to accompany you?" Odin asked, his own eye shiny. "It would take me but minutes to summon him."

"Thank you, but no. This is something I need do alone." He managed a slight smile at Odin.

Then he turned to McKenna and her heart leapt into her throat. Heimdall and Odin moved away from them, closer to that vast window, to give them a bit of privacy.

She stared up at him, determined to remember every shadow, every line in his face-from the laugh lines at the corners of his eyes to the crease in his right cheek that wanted to be a dimple when he smiled, but never quite made it. She wanted to remember the exact shade of blue of his eyes. The exact way he smiled. Everything.

He stepped up to her and took her hands in his. "Remember what I said, McKenna. All of it."

"I do and I will. And you remember what I said. All of it."

A sad smile lifted the corners of his lips. "I do and I will."

"And you're coming home."

"Of course."

His hands were cold about hers, his thumbs sweeping lightly along hers and she brought both of them to her lips. "You be careful, Loki."

"I know." He leaned close, whispering, "I love you, Midgardian," and brushed her lips with his.

"I love you, too, Jötunn," she managed to whisper back as her throat closed.

He kissed her again, this time releasing her hands to wrap her in his arms and crush her close. She parted her lips and when his tongue touched hers, she shivered against him. There was so much fire behind his kiss, so much passion, that she knew he was kissing her goodbye, that he fully expected he wouldn't return.