Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN

It wasn't often the Odinson family ventured out for dinner, but when they did, their restaurant of choice was Amy's, a cozy, family run-place in Clinton, which wasn't too far from home. The food was good, the service was exceptional. It was usually a nice way to unwind and tonight was no exception.

When dinner was over, she and Loki each held a carrier in one hand, and Aislinn held Loki's free hand while Selig slipped his hand into McKenna's. They stepped out into the warm night and she sighed as they drew near the Pilot. She still wasn't entirely comfortable driving the huge SUV, but after the twins' arrival, her Accord just wasn't big enough.

They got the twins' seats clicked into place, Selig and Aislinn into their own seats, and she sank into the driver's seat with a sigh. "Man, no one ever told me it would one day exhaust me to have to put four kids into a car."

Loki climbed up into the passenger seat and grinned at her. "You should have let me take care of it."

"No offense, but I'd rather not risk it with magic." She turned over the engine, put the transmission into gear, and carefully eased out of the small gravel lot.

By the time they were home, only Selig remained awake, although his eyes were pretty heavy-lidded. "Mommy, will you read me a story?"

"Sure, sweetie. Just let me get your brother and sisters down for the night, while you pick out a book."

"Okay." He eased down from the Pilot and followed Loki inside while McKenna leaned over to unbuckle Aislinn.

"Momma..." she mumbled thickly, snuggling into McKenna's shoulder.

"Mommy's right here, little bit," she whispered, carefully pushing the door shut.

"Seepy, Momma..."

"I know, princess. You'll be tucked in your bed in just a few minutes."

"Where's Daddy?"

"He's taking the twins inside. He'll come kiss you good night when he's finished." McKenna kissed the top of Aislinn's head as she carried her right up to her room. The toddler didn't so much as open her eyes as McKenna changed her in to her pajamas and by the time Loki came into the room, Aislinn was sound asleep.

"Nicholas and Kyra are also out," he whispered, easing his arm about her waist. "And Selig is waiting for you to read him a story."

"She's all yours, then, Daddy," McKenna whispered back, nodding in Aislinn's direction.

Loki gave her a gentle squeeze. "Are you all right, darling girl?"

"I'm fine, Loki. Just a little worn out. It's been a long day."

"So go read Selig his story and go draw yourself a bath."

"That sounds wonderful."

Aislinn's sheets rustled and she murmured, "Daddy...?"

"What, love?" he whispered, bending over her.

"Can I have story, Daddy?"

"Of course, little bit. The Velveteen Rabbit?"

"Pwease, Daddy."

McKenna smiled as Loki gave in, and when she finished reading to Selig, who only made it through half the book, and went back to check, both Aislinn and Loki were asleep. She paused in the doorway, pressing a hand to her lips. Loki lay on his back on Aislinn's bed, his right arm around her as she snuggled against him, her head on his chest. The book, still in his left hand, lay face down on his left hip. They were like opposite-sized bookends, pale-skinned and dark-haired.