Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

McKenna didn't remember Loki lifting her to bring her back to their bed, nor did she remember falling asleep, but when she opened her eyes, it took her a few minutes to realize it wasn't all a dream. They were in Asgard and Loki was going to confront Thanos.

She was alone. His side of the bed was smooth, his pillows without dents of any sort. She rolled over to squint at the clock. It was nearly midnight.

Her head ached and she winced as she reached up to rub her temples. As she rubbed, she wondered where Loki had gone. It wasn't like him to wander the palace at night and she didn't think he was still up with Odin.

But then again, it was entirely possible that's exactly where he was, so she gingerly slid from the bed and made her way to the door. Loki had removed her shoes, but she was still in her jeans and tee shirt, and her socks kept the chill of the marble floors from sinking into her feet.

The Throne Room was on the opposite side of the palace, the corridors cool and empty as she moved along them. Every now and again, she passed one of the Royal Guards, and he bobbed his head, saying, "Good evening, Your Highness," as she passed.

Thunder rumbled in the distance and lightning streaked across the sky, but the rain had let up. Although, judging by those low rumbles, chances were the storms weren't over just yet.

The doors to the Throne Room were void of any guards. Odin wasn't in there. Still, she reached for the handle of one door, the gold cool and smooth beneath her hand. She tugged, the heavy door slowly yielding and when it was wide enough, she slipped around it.

The Throne Room was enormous, a huge cavern of a room, with massive gold pillars etched with intricate Norse symbols that meant nothing to her. Scarlet runners all led up the sloped floor, meeting at the foot of the enormous dais upon which Odin's massive golden throne stood.

As she crested the slope of the main aisle, she slowed and stopped. Loki was on the throne, dressed in his full armor, including his helmet with its long, swooping golden horns. He sat relaxed, his knees spread wide, his long fingers curved about his jaw, as if he was deep in thought-which he probably was. He knew what lay ahead of him, knew the seriousness of the matter, and she didn't doubt it weighed heavily upon him.

He didn't see her at first. At least, she didn't think he did, and she thought maybe it best to leave him to his thoughts. He certainly didn't need her weeping all over him again. Not to mention, she wasn't sure how much more strain her nerves could handle.

But as she turned to go back, he said, "Please stay."

He spoke in his normal voice, but the chamber's acoustics made him sound stern and commanding, and when she turned, he held out the hand that had been against his chin. "Come here, love."

It wasn't the first time she'd ever seen him atop Asgard's throne, and each time she did, she was struck by how well it suited him. One day, it would be his throne. And he promised to make her queen when that day came.

She never cared what title was bestowed upon her. Lady, Princess, or Queen, all that mattered to her was that she was at his side and he was at hers. Never once did she ever think that maybe, just maybe, she would have to go it alone.

There were three flights of stairs leading to the throne, each containing nine steps, and by the time she reached the top, her heart pounded a little harder. "What are you doing, Loki? It's after midnight."

He reached out to catch her hand in his and drew her down onto his lap. "I couldn't sleep and I didn't want to wake you by pacing around, so I decided to take a walk."