Chapter One

Mary's P.O.V

"Mary, we're leaving for the airport now!" I heard my mom, Lauren call.

"I'm coming!" I called back.

My mom had been planning this day for over a month, probably getting grey hairs from stressing so much. I however, didn't really care for today. Yeah I was meeting my new British step-father, but I already had a burning hatred for him just because he was replacing my real dad.

I had only known about this wedding for a short three months and I was already dreading it. My dad moved on as well though. He remarried to some hispanic women who had 2 kids already. Two boys, one a 11 month old and the other 4 years.

Since my parents divorced two years ago, I mostly spent my time locked in my room or out with friends in the city since my mom was always flying out to England to see her so called lover.

When I reached down stairs I saw my mom trying to tie red balloons around our kitchen chairs.

"Mom, what are you doing?" I lightly chuckled.

"I want him to feel welcomed!" Her soft voice spoke, "You know he's very excited to meet his new step-daughter." She turned to smile at me.

I rolled my eyes, "Once I turn 18 I'm moving out."

She sighed, raking a hand over her wrinkled face. For a 42 year old she looked pretty good for her age.

"Sweetie, I know it's going to be hard adjusting to this..But, I really like him okay?" She gave me a pleading look, "Try not to scare him away." She shook her head with a small grin, trying to lighten the tension that started to build.

"I'll try." I grumbled as we headed towards my moms car.

I found myself looking out the window as we headed towards Philadelphia's International Airport. I had been here many times before, mostly to leave for an exciting trip to Florida or to visit my dad in Spain, but now it felt like I was arriving to someplace I had never been. I felt out of place as we got closer to the airport.

My stomach tightened with nervousness as my mom pulled into the terminal my soon to be step-father would walk out of. I took a slow breath before climbing into the back seat, already knowing it would be rude to make someone older sit in the back. I sat patiently as my moms knees bounced up and down with impatience.

"Oh there he is!" She squealed before quickly pulling down the car mirror and checking her appearance. She then turned around, giving me a warning glance. "Be polite." She reminded me sternly.

I nodded in obedience. Of course I wasn't too excited about both my parents moving on from each other, but if this man made my mom happy, I'd try to make it work.

I sucked in a sharp breath as the passenger side door whipped open and a friendly looking man stepped in. He looked much younger then my mom, maybe in his 30's? Him and my mom didn't waste anytime in kissing each other softly before he looked back at me.

"You must be, Mary." he flashed me a dimpled smiled, "I'm Harry, it's a pleasure to meet you." he said as he extended his hand for me to shake.

I hesitantly reached out for it and connected our hands, mine sweaty with nervousness. When his soft lips touched above my knuckles in a sweet greeting my mother almost let out an awe of amazement.

As soon as he let go of my hand, I dropped it back into my lap and looked outside. We drove past the familiar setting as we made our way back towards the house.

"It's going to be so lovely having a man around to help with the house." My mom breathlessly laughed. "Me and Mary could use a man in our life. Right sweetie?" She smiled through the rearview mirror.

I gave her a blank stare, turning towards the man my mom was so fond over, "You're a lot younger then I expected you know. I thought you'd at least be in your 40's."

I received a glare from my mother but to my surprise a laugh from Harry.

"I'm only 32." He turned to look back at me. "And how old are you?"

"17." I responded curtly.

He gave me a wide grin, eyes blazing into my own. "Where do you want to go to college?"

"Somewhere far away from here. I don't want to be one of those people who lives in the same place their whole life. That's just boring. I mean you have this whole world to explore and you're choosing to stay in one place? Just doesn't seem right." I shook my head, looking out the window.

"I agree. I could take you back to England sometime? Maybe look for some colleges there?" Harry asked and my head snapped up to see him looking out the window.

"Really?" my eyebrows furrowed. "I mean that'd be cool if you actually wanted to." I shrugged, looking up through my eyelashes as he turned to look at me again.

"Of course. I went to college at London University." He said proudly and I couldn't help but let a shy grin break onto my face.

A/N vote or comment if you enjoyed reading this. i have a whole plot planned out for this story and im really excited to write it :)

-Beckyyy