2- Sophmore Year of High School

I woke up early in the morning to get ready for the only happiness in my life: school. The first day of school for my sophomore year was a day to celebrate. School meant getting out of the house and getting away from my parents, something I always longed for.

I got ready in my room as fast as I could so I could leave sooner rather than later. I grabbed my favorite shirt and paired it with a random pair of ripped jeans. I threw on my black Converse before turning to my mirror. There was a mark on the left side of my face that I covered with makeup before styling my hair in loose curls. I wanted to look presentable for the first day, but I didn't want to go overboard like I knew some would.

As I finished my hair, I headed downstairs and out the front door with my backpack in hand, not disturbing my parents once. I walked the path I knew from the hundreds of trips to school before. As I walked, I let my mind wander.

Three years in Forks seemed to have passed in an instant, and all I could think about was how fast things had changed. When I lived with my pack, life was different. Having been the youngest to phase, a girl, and the smallest wolf possible, I was immediately the odd one out. When my parents decided to move, it wasn't for me; it was because of me. While I was getting made fun of and left out, so were they. No one wanted to hang out with them because I was the weird, small wolf.

Moving to Forks ended up being a best-case scenario for me. Nobody in the main part of town knew about the supernatural, and the Quileute tribe stayed in their land for the most part.

Getting to go to a regular school with ordinary people was terrific. I could only hope this upcoming year would be as fun as the past three had been.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I walked up to the school building. I could hear whispered conversations all around me as I passed groups of students. I picked up on bits of sentences and pieces together what had everyone so rilled up: there was a new family in town.

New students were always a big deal in Forks since most kids had lived there their entire lives. Something similar happened when I started school; everyone wanted to be my best friend. It didn't take long for me to realize I was more of a drifter who never stayed with one group of friends forever.

I continued on my way into the building, not bothering to join everyone in their gossiping tendencies. I walked straight to my locker, where I placed all the books I wouldn't need for my morning classes.

"Oh, Emma! Just the person I was looking for!"

I turned to see none other than Jessica Stanley running toward me as fast as her heels would let her. I rolled my eyes at her antics as she stopped herself right next to my locker.

"Nice shoes," I told her, shutting my locker door.

Her eyes widened as she glanced down to her feet. "Right? I think I'm going to start wearing heels to school all the time."

"Uh-huh. Like I haven't heard that one before." She said the same thing every year and never wore heels after the first week of school.

I turned to walk away from her, assuming the conversation was over, before being stopped by her arm. "No, wait, I had an actual question."

I glanced at Jessica, signaling she could continue.

"Have you seen the new kids yet?" Her eyes lit up as she spoke, and her lips turned into a large smile. She was already smitten with these poor new kids.

"No, I haven't, and I don't plan on going out of my way to see them. That's stalkerish."

"Whatever. The boys are hot, and I'm going to ask one of them out before the end of the day." She wasn't even looking at me as she spoke. Instead, her eyes looked unfocused toward the ceiling. The girl could daydream at all hours of the day and never tire.

I left her standing in the hallway, deciding to get to my class on time.