16- Happy Tears

I woke up the following day in my wolf form in Jasper's bed. As I opened my eyes and realized this, I shifted back to my human form, my clothes reappearing on my body as I did.

"Well, good afternoon, Wolf Pup." Jasper's words made me smile as I turned to look at him. He was sitting on the edge of his bed, giving me room to lay comfortably.

"Morning," I replied sleepily.

"Remind me to never let you stay up late like that again," he said with a smile on his face.

"Sure thing," I told him as I snuggled deeper into his bed.

"No, no, no," he told me, grabbing my arms and pulling me up. "You need to eat something."

"But your bed is so comfortable," I told him. I sat up and wrapped my arms around his waist.

"I'm sure it is," he told me, laughing slightly.

"Hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Always."

"Why do you have a bed?"

My question was met with silence, and I figured I had accidentally hit a nerve. "You don't have to tell me," I told him, suddenly a lot more awake.

"Oh, no, Emma. It's nothing super personal. It's just, I never had my own nice bed when I was a human," he told me honestly. "At my home, I slept on an old bed, and in the army, I slept on the floor more often than I slept in a cot. I guess I just wanted something normal for once, and a nice bed seemed like a normal thing to have."

I smiled at his words, feeling slightly bad that I got more use out of the bed than he did. "I'm sorry you never slept in a nice bed, but for the record, this is the best bed I've ever slept in."

"Thank you for telling me. Now, let's go get you food."

Jasper pulled me up off of his bed and led the way to the kitchen. I sat down at the table, and Esme placed a breakfast sandwich in front of me. I thanked her as Jasper sat down with me. As I started eating, Emmet came running into the room.

"So, Lucky, I was thinking of buying you a whole bunch of dog toys. Would that be something you would like?" Emmet spoke with so much enthusiasm it was hard not to smile.

"Emmet, she just woke up," Edward said, walking in the kitchen.

Rosalie came in right behind him. "Give her a second before you bombard her with your nonsense."

"Also, her name is Emma, not Lucky." Alice walked in as she spoke before sitting down beside me.

"She said I could call her Lucky," Emmet told Alice.

"It sounds like you're talking about a dog, not a person," Noah said, entering the room and standing behind Alice.

Carlisle walked into the room and smiled when he saw me. "Oh good, you're up, Emma. Esme and I told Chief Swan that you were okay with us adopting you, and he said we could go over to the station and finalize everything today. All we need to do is have you sign the adoption papers in front of him, so he knows we're not forcing you to do it."

"Is that okay?" Esme asked me.

"Of course," I said as I finished eating. "I'll go get ready now, and we can head down there." I got up from the table and turned to Emmet. I told him, "That sounds like a good idea," before leaving the room and heading back up to Jasper's.

I could hear Emmet and Edward cheer slightly in the dining room as I made my way up the stairs. I walked into Jasper's room and got ready. Since I had been sleeping in Jasper's room, I had also been keeping all my stuff in there too. It just felt natural, and Jasper had been more than happy to share the room with me.

After getting ready, I headed back downstairs, where the whole family was sitting around the diner table. I could hear Carlisle talking, but I couldn't hear what he was saying. As I entered the room, everyone turned to look at me.

"Are you ready?" Carlisle asked me.

"Yeah," I replied honestly. I was ready to be a part of the Cullen family forever.

I saw Jasper smile at me, and Carlisle, Esme, and I made our way to the front door. We walked out of the house, got in Carlisle's car, and drove down to the Police Station. When we arrived, we got out of the car and headed inside. I saw Charlie and made my way to him, leaving Carlisle and Esme in the front waiting area.

"Hey Charlie," I said happily.

"Hey, Emma!" Charlie said, just as happy. "So, you sure you're okay with this? You feel happy with the Cullens?"

"Yeah," I told him. "I feel safe with them."

"Okay, that's good enough for me. Carlisle and Esme already signed all the forms. All I need is your signature on the last page."

I flipped to the last page and signed my name before giving the packet back to Charlie.

"Well, Emma, you are now officially a Cullen." His words brought a smile to my face as I turned to see Carlisle and Esme smiling just as wide.

I walked straight to Carlisle and hugged him. I could feel Esme wrap her arms around us as well, and we just stood there in happiness for a moment. Then, Carlisle suggested we go home to celebrate. I agreed, assuming that was just something he said for Charlie to hear, not something that would actually happen.

When we got home, I realized I was wrong. As soon as I opened the front door, I saw that everything was covered in decorations. As I walked into the living room, I realized the decorations were all dog-themed. Everyone except Carlisle and Esme jumped up and yelled, "Welcome to the family!"

I froze in shock, unable to comprehend what was happening. I felt tears starting to fall down my cheeks, but I couldn't stop them. I was completely overwhelmed in the best way possible.

"Alice, she hates it!" Jasper yelled while running over and pulling me into a hug, misreading my overwhelming emotion.

"No, she doesn't," Alice told him.

"Yes, she does. She's crying."

I wrapped my arms around Jasper as I finally found my voice. "Jazz, I love it," I told him. "They're happy tears."

With those words, everyone relaxed and joined Jasper and me in a group hug. I smiled as tears of joy streamed down my face. "This is the best thing anyone has ever done for me. Thank you guys so much," I told them.

"Oh, get used to it," Edward told me. "You're part of the family for real now."