10- Telling the Truth

When I woke up, I was still in the unfamiliar room, and Jasper was still right next to me. I smiled at the blonde vampire prompting him to talk to me.

"Good morning," he whispered to me.

"Morning," I replied.

"How are you feeling?" I looked away from Jasper to see Carlisle standing in the corner of the room.

I thought before I answered. "I'm feeling stronger than before," I told him. "I'm still a little sore, but I feel a lot better."

"That's good," he told me. "Do you feel good enough to get up?"

I thought about it for another second before deciding, "Yeah, I think I do."

Carlisle nodded before looking down at Jasper, prompting Jasper to say, "Everyone wants to talk to you about everything."

I nodded once before sitting up with Jasper's help. I swung my feet over the edge of the bed and stood up. As I did, Jasper copied my actions and placed an arm around my waist to help stabilize me.

"Thanks," I told him, sending a small smile his way.

"Of course." His words were quiet, but I heard them anyway.

Jasper and I followed Carlisle out of the room into the hallway. As we entered the hallway, I realized where I had been lying down, in Jasper's room. I had never been in there before, but I knew where it was from the many times I'd walked down that hallway.

The three of us made our way downstairs to the living room, where the whole Cullen family was waiting. I could see Edward and Alice giving me weird looks, which didn't help my nerves about this upcoming conversation. Carlisle moved across the room and stood next to Esme as Jasper led me to the couch. We both sat down next to each other before I looked up at everyone.

I took a deep breath before asking, "Where do you want me to start?"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Edward's voice sounded so broken it made me feel even worse about lying to them.

I looked down before answering, not wanting to meet any of their gazes as I admitted, "I didn't want to bother you guys. I thought I could handle it." Against my better judgment, I looked up and said, "I guess I was wrong."

"Yeah, you were wrong!" Edward retorted while standing up from the couch. "You almost died! If Jasper hadn't called you...."

"Edward." Carlisle looked down at me before saying, "Not right now."

Edward looked from Carlisle to me right as I realized I had tears streaming down my face. I wiped the tears before saying, "No, you're right, Edward. I was stupid, and I could have died because of it, and I'll never be able to take that back." I looked at everyone once before saying, "I'm so sorry."

I felt Jasper give me a little squeeze with his arm reminding me that his arm was still around my waist. I cherished how close we were, afraid that it would all change any moment.

"You guys deserve to know everything," I told the family before diving into an explanation of my life. I told them about how my old pack hated me and why my parents left. I told them how my parents hated me and showed me that almost every day. I told them the truth about everything.

Then I turned to Jasper before moving a little away from him. I didn't want to be too close to him when I told him the truth because I knew he would hate me.

"He won't hate you," Edward said after reading my thoughts.

"Why would I hate you?" Jasper asked, looking at me confused.

"Cause I haven't told you the truth about something important." I took a deep breath before saying, "When you came to school, that first day, you could feel that I had imprinted on someone."

"Yeah, I can still feel it now, but I would never be mad about that; you can't control it."

I nodded my head once in acknowledgment before saying, "I'm glad you think that, because I didn't imprint on someone from school. I imprinted on you."

The silence that followed after that was maddening. Jasper went rigid as he processed what I just said, as did everyone else in the room except Alice and Edward.

I decided to say one more thing, "I'm sorry."

That snapped everyone out of their frozen state. Jasper quickly stood up from the couch and left the room. I felt the tears stream down my face once again as I watched him run away.

I could feel someone come up behind me and hug me, but it wasn't Jasper, so I didn't care. "It's going to be okay, Emma." It was Edward who spoke behind me, so it was Edward who was hugging me.

"I hurt him, Ed. I told you the truth would hurt him." I could feel Edward's arms tighten around me, but it didn't help the empty feeling in the pit of my stomach that appeared the second Jasper left.