69- I'm Sorry

I woke up the next day to the sun shining brightly through the window. Jasper was still beside me with his eyes closed, getting as close to sleep as he could.

"Jazz?" I whispered, getting his attention.

He opened his eyes and looked up at me. "Hi," he whispered back.

"What time is it?"

"I have no idea, but we should probably go get something for you to eat."

I nodded slightly as Jasper sat up. As I copied his actions, I realized how exhausted I still felt. After all the fighting and emotions yesterday, I felt drained. I was sure everyone felt the same, and I felt bad that no one in the house could sleep it off like I could.

The two of us got up, changed into new clothes, and made our way downstairs, where everyone was. Esme had made me a sandwich, and Carlisle was waiting to talk to both of us. As we sat down at the dinner table, he started talking.

"I went back to the Rez after you fell asleep, and Jacob is already doing a lot better. He's feeling really good because of you, Jasper. Your powers left an effect on him, and it's helping him heal mentally. Everyone else is completely fine and probably sleeping in like you guys did."

"Thank you for helping him, Carlisle," I told him honestly. "I know he's a pain, but somewhere in there, he's a good person."

"How are you feeling?" He asked, changing the subject.

"I'm tired, but I'm fine."

"Hey, you guys finally woke up!" Noah walked into the room with a smile on his face. He made his way over and hugged me. "After the way you passed out last night, I wasn't sure if you were ever going to wake up."

Noah's yelling alerted the rest of the family that we were at the table talking, and everyone wanted to join in. Rosalie and Emmet rushed into the room.

"Are you two okay?" Rosalie asked us quickly.

"We're fine," Jasper told her as she wrapped him in a hug.

"Are you sure, bro?" Emmet asked. "Because I've never seen either of you so tired before."

"I'm sure," he responded as Rosalie moved over to hug me.

"I've told you guys a hundred times already," Alice said, joining us in the room. "They're just tired. Everything is fine."

As Rosalie let go of me, I looked around at everyone and realized something once again. "Where's Edward?" I felt like every time I had asked that question, I would get a disappointing answer, so I prepared myself for the reply.

I was not expecting what Carlisle ended up saying. "He's afraid you're upset at him, so he's hiding in his room with Bree."

"Why would I be upset at him?" I asked, genuinely confused.

Carlisle simply shrugged in response, not having an answer to my question.

Edward, I'm not mad at you. I don't even know why I would be. Please come downstairs. Besides, I want to meet Bree properly.

I could hear two people walking down the stairs and turned to see Edward and Bree joining us in the dining room. "You okay?" Edward asked me.

"Never better."

He rushed toward me suddenly and pulled me into a hug. "I'm sorry," he muttered.

"For what?" I asked him, hugging him back.

"It's my fault Victoria was after you. It's my fault the Volturi know about you. That means it's also my fault that Jane hurt you yesterday, and...."

"Wow, wow, wow. Edward, relax. I'm not blaming you for any of that right now, and I'm not mad at you."

He pulled away from our hug, looking me in the eye. "You should be. You should be livid and kick me out of the house."

"You need to relax," I told him. "We're not doing any of that. Besides, based on what I remember, you stood up for me against Jane."

"I told you," Alice said, looking at Edward. "But you didn't believe me."

Edward turned around, ready to argue with Alice about something, but as he did so, I saw Bree once again. She was standing awkwardly to the side, watching our family interact.

"You must be Bree," I said, turning the conversation toward her. "It's nice to finally meet you."

She gave me a brief smile, obviously not ready for the attention, before it quickly dropped. "I'm sorry," she told me.

"What is with everyone apologizing to me when I'm not mad?" I asked no one in particular. "As far as I'm concerned, Bree, you have nothing to apologize for. You be kind to Edward, and you and I will be the best of friends."

Edward and Bree both gave me small smiles in thanks before Emmet drastically changed the direction of the conversation.

"Now that we have that covered, can we please talk about Jacob and Bella?"

"Oh my gosh," Noah said, turning to face Emmet. "It was unbearable."

"Seth was already complaining about her," I told the family.

"At least she's not our problem anymore," Rose said, making Edward laugh.

Everyone slowly started leaving the room, returning to what they were doing around the house. Edward and Bree stayed back to talk to Jasper and me.

"You really mean what you said?" Edward asked me.

"I really do," I told him. "And I really hope the two of you are happy together."

"Even though I ruined your life?"

"Even though you ruined my life," I told him, a smile on my face. "Oh, and I'm giving you another shot."

"Meaning?" Edward asked, hopeful.

"I trust you, Edward. Don't screw it up."