23- Vampires To The Rescue

Edward's car came flying into the back alley before abruptly stopping. His door flew open as he stormed out of the car straight toward Bella. His presence alone scared the drunk men away from us, and I made my way over to his car without a second thought.

"Emma, get Bella in the car." Edward's words were forced, and I could tell it took everything in him not to rip those guys to shreds.

I grabbed Bella's shaking hand and practically dragged her to Edward's passenger side door. I opened it before getting her to sit down.

As she sat, she looked up at me. "I thought you said Jasper brought you here."

"Yeah, I thought so too." As I spoke, I shut the door, leaving Bella all alone in the car. "Edward! Let's go!"

Edward turned to look at me with murder in his eyes. 

I looked back at him. Not in front of Bella. 

With that thought, he snapped out of his craze and made his way to the driver's side of his car.

"You good?" I asked him.

"Enough," was his only response before he got in the car with his blood singer.

I started to open his back door when I heard another car coming into the back alley. Just go, Edward. We'll deal with these guys.

Edward pulled away quickly as Jasper's car took his place. Before he could get out of the car, I got in his passenger seat. "Drive now before you do something stupid." As I spoke, Jasper drove quickly away from the drunk guys.

He drove in silence for multiple minutes before finally saying, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. But I did just leave our brother in a car with his blood singer when he is clearly not in complete control of his anger or thirst."

Jasper's hand intertwined with my own, his own anxieties fading. "We'll be fine."

And with that, Jasper silently drove us home. When we arrived, Alice was waiting on the front porch for us.

"You left him to deal with it on his own?" She yelled at me.

"I figured he could make his own decisions," I told her, walking past her into the house.

"He could have killed her."

"Wait, what?" Carlisle yelled throughout the house.

"Based on what you just said, he didn't, and he won't." I flopped down on the couch with Jasper sitting beside me as the rest of the family zoomed into the room.

"He could have killed Bella tonight?" Carlisle asked tensely.

"Yes, but he won't. No thanks to Emma." Alice's words hurt me, but I wasn't going to show her that.

"This isn't Emma's fault," Jasper said, sticking up for me.

"Alice, you have to share things like that with the family," Noah told her, stepping up next to her.

"I didn't want everyone to worry," she told him.

"Then why are you freaking out now?" Esme asked her.

"Because when Emma left, there was a higher chance she died."

"Which means we should be even more proud of Edward," I told her.

This silenced her as she realized she was in the wrong, not me. She grabbed Noah's hand as the two walked out of the living room without a word.

"What happened?" Carlisle asked me.

So I told him everything that happened up until Jasper picked me up.

"Why did you leave him?" Emmet asked me seriously when I was done.

"What would I have done to help him? Instead of one person with blood in the car, there would be two. I figured I would make it harder, and I believe Edward can take care of himself."

"He can," Carlisle said confidently. "He is allowed to make his own decisions."

"It'll all be fine," Esme said, trying to calm the tense atmosphere.

After a while of everyone talking in the living room, I decided I was tired. "Well, I'm going to bed," I said, standing up and heading to my room.

Everyone said various versions of goodnight as I made my way up the stairs and into the room I shared with Jasper. I quickly got ready for bed before lying down. As I did, Jasper sped into the room and laid down next to me.

"You promise you're okay?" He asked me, pulling me into a hug. "I don't like how those guys were looking at you when I got there."

"I promise, I'm fine. Nothing happened," I told him, snuggling close to him. "Goodnight, Jazzy."

"Goodnight, Puppy."

And with those words, I felt a wave of tiredness wash over me, sending me into a deep sleep.