A Relic's Story

Chapter 37

Ashlyn's POV

It's been a week or more since Claude's confession. News is spreading in every part of the continent. The princes are both in sickness. I also heard one of my personal maids that the princes are in a coma. It was never unusual that they get ill at the same time together or get hurt together. That was the typical thing that nobles always gossip about. The capital or other kingdoms in the continent had their own tale of what is happening to the imperial brothers. Because they are cursed, they are bewitched or a spell is being put onto them. Nevertheless, it is still a mystery. How they get illness simultaneously. Even if I'm also curious about that. I'm not someone who'll dig their secrets just to make use of it against them. They are close to me but I'm not close to them. I... cannot let my guard down. Someone is following me whether I leave the residence or rather stay. I have been followed since I faced dad for the first time.

"Dad, Forsaken, Resentment, good eve." I greeted as I walk out of the shadows. The Forsaken are the group of rebelled boys who I fought with to win their loyalty. And the Resentment, of course, dad's organization. Many we're holding their chests, mouths are dropped, and others slipped (Then fall from the ground.) Are they that surprised to see me that others even fall to the floor? Can't believe that assassin these days are like this.

"Kiddos, have you not gotten used to my daughter's instant arrivals?" Dad was looking at them like it's their fault or something. The Forsaken group isn't bothered with my entrance. Instead, they are more pleased that I came. "Good morning, lady Mia." The group greeted me, I waved at them. I'm straightly sauntering to the underground place. To find many leads. For a couple of weeks, I have been striving for answers in my mother's belongings and how to unlock the diary she had. I recently just found out that it has a lock on it. Neither I or dad can open mother's journal. I need to hurry my job. The grand duke is doubtful where I go at the capital. I'm a kid at this state. An eleven-year-old kid. Being doubtful about what the servants and the head maid did to me at our first meeting. Huh, do they think I didn't know their useless act? I patch what happened with the head maid and the servant who accidentally poured warm milk in my dress also what butler Asher told me before. He told me that he often said to his wife that I'm an amazing person. Butler Asher also said that his wife was curious about me. That is why I figured out what happened to that so-called accident thing in the morning. Head maid Lina was expecting goodwill from me and I gave her that. I gave her an act of goodwill she waited.

And by the way, "Alas," Why are all my mother's belongings all sealed? The only things that are unsealed are mother's dry herbs, flowers, and blank papyrus. Papyrus is ancient papers use in the early years. Hmm, dad said my mother was a genius herself. She even formulated a powder that can help dad's organization when doing their jobs. Powders with a different mix of many things. For poisoning, for invisibility, for mesmeric, for seducing, for hypnotic, for manipulating, for killing, and many things.

While thinking what's the key. I notice mother's papyrus was about to be burned by the candle that was near it. The candle was melting. It was fleeting to the melting candle. It was a relief I caught it. Though the light from the fire is reflecting the papyrus under it. When the blank papyrus was centered on the light beneath the candle. Words then appeared. All phrases were clearly seen. It didn't disappear, it stayed seen. Invisibility powder. Mother's inherent is spectacular. My mother really is... "An amazing person." I voiced faintly. I cannot help but smile widely. Now, I get why mother has papyrus with no mark of ink on it. All papyrus that mother stacked is covered in invisibility powder. What surprises me more is that she somehow put another component that the invisibility powder is attracted to. Uhm, invisibility, huh, fire? Fire magic or dust. My mother used fire as another element. This is genius. Now that I realize it. Mother's papyrus has always smelled like a burning fire. Too fiery for a relic ancient paper.