He Knew

Chapter 17

3 weeks and 2 days have passed since what happened at the party. Maids still keep gossiping but some believe their lady Ashlyn was frame but some we're still insulting her. Because Ashlyn was grounded, she has to stay in her room for a month even eat alone in her room for a month. So, her teachers; madam Francine and scholar Ronald decided to teach her in her room. In the first week, Ashlyn asked them if they heard about what happened at the party? And if they do, do they believe or think she was the one who stole the brooch? They said 'No' because they only believe in what they see. They see their kind lady Ashlyn.

Her older brother Ezekiel and her father often visit her due to the punishment her father gave her. And also because of the punishment, she's not allowed to call any maids except Mirya her personal maid. Mirya was the one who delivers her meals. There was no day that Mirya didn't give her poison food. Sometimes Ashlyn will have a fever or spit blood. But she didn't make anyone notice it.

This time Ashlyn waited for her afternoon meal quite long. She was writing her homework given by her teacher, scholar Ronald. Ashlyn stopped when the door opened, she first assumed it was Mirya but it was butler Asher who walked in with a tray of food in his hand.

Butler Asher places the tray on Ashlyn's other table. Ashlyn stands and sat down at the other table. Ashlyn said 'Thank you' before attempting to eat but butler Asher spoke, "Lady Ashlyn, I want to tell you what I know. You were framed by your second older brother, master Adrian. I heard him with Melon what will be Melon be doing. He was the one who instructed Melon, so you ar-----" he didn't finish "I know." Butler Asher was really surprised. "My lady, you knew? Then why didn't defend yourself?" he asked, "Because I don't want my brother to be blamed or punished. I know that he doesn't like me. I know this may sound so selfish but I think what he did is just rightful for me. If you think I'd plan to tell father about this well I won't. So, butler Asher please promise me also that you won't tell anyone about this. Knowing my brother, I know he will do more for me so please keep quiet. Keep quiet till I'm still here and living. This is not an order but a request. Will you accept my request, butler Asher?" her words were half true because the other half she already knew about it. She stopped when she noticed that he was nodding while crying. "Butler Asher, there's one more thing. There's one more person who knows who is the culprit." Butler Asher stop, he was extremely surprised but his gaze we're as sharp as blazes, "My lady, who is the other person you're referring to? And I will do my best to make him quiet of what he knows." His words were serious. "Ezekiel, my older brother Ezekiel." Butler Asher's jaw dropped. "My lady, how can you say that. Young master Ezekiel? How? How can he possibly know? When I heard Melon and young master Adrian, young master Ezekiel was not present at that time. And also, he was not mentioned." he questioned Ashlyn once more. "How? Because I notice that he was confused about what happened during the party. But when we were at the office, he seemed to know who already was the culprit which is brother Adrian. You must be thinking why didn't Adrian said the truth at that time when we were all in father's office? *Butler Asher nodded* He didn't expose brother Adrian because of two reasons which are he didn't want father to scold or punish him and second is he needs to be a caring brother to Adrian." Butler Asher didn't say anything except 'I see' while his hands were playing with the other. Ashlyn saw how butler Asher's eyes were teary. Ashlyn just shrugged and whispered 'What a crybaby.' Ashlyn chuckled silently.

"My lady, you are really kind. Letting young master Adrian off the hook. I wish someday he will realize your goodness." He said while still crying. Ashlyn confronted him and caress his back she said that it was all right even though butler Asher knew she was lying.