Chapter Four

"You ready yet?" Troy yelled from outside Kaitlyn's room and she groaned just as her phone beeped, indicating a message. She checked and rolled her eyes, seeing it was from her grandmother.

"Not yet, just a minute" she yelled back

"You've been at it for an hour now. We're thirty minutes late"

"My dress came late don't blame me"

"Your grandmother's blowing my phone up"

"Turn it off" she heard him sigh and picked up two rings, placing one on each ring finger.

"Ten minutes, Kaitlyn" she heard his footsteps disappear down the hallway and guessed he had left. Another message came in but from her Aunt Nola asking if she was fine and if she would be available for the ball. She replied saying she was fine and was going to make it before dropping it back and picking up her heels before adding another thin coat of lipstick and mascara before deciding she was fine and headed out downstairs to where Troy was waiting for her.

His jaw clenched when he looked up from his phone to look at her. She smiled and turned around, pleased with his reaction.

"What do you think?"

"That time you spent getting ready didn't go to waste" she smiled wider. Her now pearly blonde hair was styled to a Khaleesi inspired twist and wore a sparkly off shoulder burgundy ball gown with silver colored ankle strap heels.

"You don't look so bad yourself" he smirked and gave her his hand which she took, giving him a once over again. His brown hair was jelled back and he was dressed in a burgundy and black three piece tuxedo and black loafers according to the color code of the ball; shades of red to keep up the Christmas spirit.

"We should get going else my phone's really going to blow up" she laughed as he led her to the door.

"Isn't your father supposed to be back by now?"

"I don't know, Kate. Dove's got him wrapped around her little finger"

"Why don't you call him?" The chauffeur opened the door and they both slid in.

"If he wants to be back, he'll be back. He's not a little kid. Now can we please stop talking about this and just concentrate on the ball?" Kaitlyn smiled and nodded, getting the hint that Troy wasn't keen on the conversations like all the other times when the subject was brought up. Kaitlyn wondered how Troy would handle it if Erick was really going to marry Dove.

****
Kaitlyn smiled as she approached her table with Troy. She could sense her grandmother boring holes into her skin from where she sat right across from them but ignored her and sat beside Katherine who was sporting a huge grin.

"You look so pretty" she complimented

"So do you" Katherine's auburn hair was styled in a braided bun and was dressed in a red lacy gown with a sweetheart neckline.

"Your grandmother doesn't seem to be happy with you" Rafael pointed out. He had his hair in a messy quiff and wore a red and black gothic three price suit.

"Is she ever happy with her?" Justin asked, clearly irritated "she's behaving just like I used to know her. I knew the 'nice lady' act wouldn't last" his hair was messy and was in a wine red three piece suit with black peak lapels

"I don't know" Kaitlyn said "she just changed I mean, reverted back to her old self"

"All you have to do is go ahead and do whatever they want. That's just the way to live peacefully with them" he typed something on his phone and it rang "I have to take this call. Will be right back" and with that he stood.