Chapter Sixteen

Kaitlyn smiled at her reflection in the mirror, proud of her work. Her grandmother had called the previous day, intercepting her call with Katherine. She was mad about the fact that Alfred was getting engaged to someone else and that she was invited.

"I'm not going and neither are you or anyone else" she had said. Kaitlyn was more than okay with the fact that her paternal family wasn't going to  be there. She didn't want them to commit a blunder at the party as she knew they would be mad about it.

After much persuasion she got her grandmother to let her go mostly with the point along the lines of 'I want to show him I don't need him and I'm fine on my own'. She knew it would calm her down and it did. She even seemed impressed with it.

She picked up the mask she had chosen for the party and headed downstairs where Troy was waiting for her. He had decided to take her as his plus one and she was more then glad.

She smiled when she got to where he was seated, clad in a bottle green suit, typing away in his phone.

"You're looking so pretty" Lia said as she got down the stairs making Troy raise his head from his phone to Kaitlyn. She noticed the way his jaw clenched and mouth twitched as he walked towards her.

"I hope you don't get confused with Victoria" he mused and Kaitlyn smiled, lowering her head to hide the small hint of blush on her face.

"I obviously wouldn't" she looked up at him, noticing how his hair was in a messy quiff.

"I hope you two have fun" Lia hoped and Kaitlyn smiled when she felt a flash on her face.

"When is this ever going to stop?" She asked, looking at Troy who was admiring the picture in his camera with a grin on his face.

"Never" he said, looking up at her.

"You're not out yet?" Carlos asked, walking in with Jayden beside him holding an ice cream cone. "You look stunning by the way" She smiled and looked down at the dark blue off shoulder sparking gown she was wearing. She had wanted to wear one of the numerous ones in her closet but her grandmother wouldn't hear of that and had it sent to her pronto in order to show Alfred 'what a big thing he is missing'

"Thank you"

"Are you sure you want to go?" Jayden asked "you always have this love sick puppy eyes in front of him like he's the last piece of meat in the world"

"Stop been silly" Lia scolded and he shrugged, raising his hands in mock surrender

"Just saying"

"She'll be fine with me" Troy assured "rest assured. She's in good hands" he gave Kaitlyn a smile, cocking his head to look at her. Lia ran a hand though her boho braids and smiled lovingly at her.

"Take care of yourself"

"Thanks. But can you be a little less emotional? I'm not going for a funeral" they chuckled at that as Troy extended his hand to her.

"Shall we?"

"We shall" she muttered a bye her family and walked away with Troy, her heels echoing in the almost quiet room as the low sounds of the TV was the only thing been heard.

*****
Alfred looked at the girl sitting beside him and rolled his eyes. How she always had a stupid smile on her face was beyond him. What was she always so happy about? Was it the alliance with him? Couldn't she tell he wasn't happy about it one bit? Part of him was guilty for using her and the other selfish part of him thought he was doing the right thing. He was after all doing it for Kaitlyn.

She held his hand and he turned to see she was smiling at him. He forced a smile back and she squeezed his arm, her face wrinkling behind the mask she had on. He turned his eyes to the entrance looking for Kaitlyn like he had been doing for the past half an hour. Maybe she had decided she wasn't coming. He didn't want her to be there all he wanted was to explain the situation to her and hopefully she forgives him.