Chapter Twenty-Three

Kaitlyn threw the journal she was writing in on her bed, groaning as she took a fistful of her hair. The scene she had seen just an hour ago was still playing in her head that it was getting too much for her to handle. As much as she says she doesn't care, It still hurts for her to even think about it. Victoria was oblivious to everything happening so she held Alfred solely responsible for whatever was going on.

She couldn't believe the person she had spent sleepless nights for, fought with her family and even risked her life for him not thinking about hers was hurting her through every angle possible. Sadly, she doesn't regret it. She just wouldn't do it all over again if given a choice.

Standing up, she began the only thing she knew could help in taking her mind off Alfred: dancing. She turned off the lights and took off her socks, walking over to the bare tiles and began twisting her body.

I fucking love you, Kaitlyn.

I love you.

Happy Birthday, Kaye. With love, Alfred.

I missed you so much.

Promise you'll never let my mother get between us.

I'll be back for you.

Her steps became stronger and echoed with each statement that echoed and repeated itself in her head. She closed her eyes and the image of Victoria and Alfred flashed before her making her lose control and twist her ankle. Yelping in pain, she sat on the floor, letting the tears break free from the jail of her eyes; the pain in her ankle nothing compared to the pain in her heart.

****
Alfred slammed the door to his room shut in order to annoy his mother who was either in her room or in her office. Troy couldnt possibly like Kaitlyn could he?, he asked himself. He was probably just comforting her as a friend. The tightness in his chest and abdominal pain increased with each breath he took as he took a seat on the couch facing the window. He was annoyed with everything and everyone; himself, Victoria, his mother and even his father. If he had just gotten the treatment done maybe he would have been alive and he wouldn't have had to marry Victoria who was as persistent as she was clingy.

She had stepped into the kitchen for water while he was cleaning up his bloody nose and mouth. After gulping down a glass, she asked if he was alright which he replied in the affirmative.

"Vous n'avez pas l'air si bien (You don't look so good)" she had said, walking closer to him. It was obvious she was drunk as she placed a hand on his chest and the other on his zipper. Her touch received no reaction from him which made her give him a confused look. He sighed and took her small face in his large hands.

"You're drunk and it's annoying. So nothing's going to happen" even though he knew no matter how sober she was, only Kaitlyn could get him to react like that. She smiled and giggled just as Kaitlyn had stepped into the kitchen. The way she had pretended nothing was wrong with her made him all the more hurt. He would have told her everything then and there; but the fear of his mother took over all his senses as he offered to help Victoria get to her car. It would be better seeing her with someone else than seeing her dead.

His chest tightened again and he coughed, blood gushing out instead of saliva and he felt helpless all over again as he walked into the bathroom. After rinsing his mouth and blowing the remaining blood out of his nose, he stared at his reflection. He looked exhausted and as he took off his shirt he noticed his arm was darkening. Even without any medical consultation he knew what was going on.

Which gave rise to a more brilliant and clearer pathway in his mind. If anyone was going to be sacrificed, it would be him.

****
Slowly and quietly, Kaitlyn opened the door to the mansion's library. Bennet once told her her father spent most of his time at home in his library reading and writing. As she noiselessly closed the door behind her, she noticed there was even an espresso machine situated near a large table she guessed was her father's. Touching it, she realized it was clean and guessed Bennet was behind it. Walking around, she realized there wasn't much to it except the cold, clean interior. What did Drake come looking for here then? She asked herself, walking towards the stairs to the second floor where most of the books were kept.