Chapter 4

I walked around slowly, taking everything in,  from the specks of midnight blue sky visible through the trees to the variety of flowers dusting the forest floor. I was accommodate with comfortable silence with the exception of owls and other night creatures.

I decided to take a walk to let my wolf out after dinner to clear my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about my mother and Ronnie, I needed to know her plan and I needed Ronnie to know I was okay. To add to my distress, I haven't been online for over 48 hours. I needed to get a phone, I said I wouldn't post any videos or pics but I needed to know what's going on.

I had dinner with Cecilia and her parents, she invited me because I was new and didn't know anyone else as yet. The former Alpha and luna was incredibly calm and welcoming, at first I was terrified because Cecilia's mom, Octavia, was a vampire. My fear vanished the moment I sat down and we started talking. They advised me to address them as their names, Caleb and Octavia. Caleb was a thrill to be around, he always had something to joke about which would have me laughing. Cecilia had her father's physical features, his hair, eyes and height, but I could tell that she was just as her mother, calm and collective.

As I was heading back I heard a growl behind me. My first thought was rogues then I remembered Cecilia informing me about the pack's high security. Curiosity got the best of me and I found myself run towards the source. I heard the gurgling of water before a beautiful lake came into view, which emerged from a waterfall.

At the far end of the lake laid a huge lone wolf. I panicked and crouched down behind one of trees as the wolf's head turned in my direction. It rose and paced, raw anger rippling through him, it's next growl forced a quiet whimper to escape my body. It's ears pointed slightly forward, like it had heard me. It's black fur with slivers ends stood straight up as it remained still, deep rumbles came from its throat as it's eyes stared over to where I laid. I did my very best to stay quiet and still, soon enough, the scary wolf went back to its pacing.

I took that as a sign to get away.

*

"Um, excuse me, are you Genevieve?" a young girl approaching me with a box asked.

"Yes, why?" I asked irritated at her for interrupting my breakfast.

"This is for you," she placed the package before me on the table. "Alpha Cecilia asked me to bring it to you."

I stopped her when she attempted to go. "Where is she?" I asked curiously.

"The alphas normal have their breakfast and dinner on the 4th floor, they always come to the pack house in the mornings after meetings or training." she answered. "By the way, the pack has dinner together every Friday night." She added.

Why the hell would a pack as large as this do that?

"Okay, you can leave now." I dismissed her. I needed to think of a way to get closer the Cecilia, I need to be in her inner circle.

I opened the cardboard box finding an iPhone, I squealed and raced straight to my room. I could talk to Ronnie again, and my mother. I had his number memorized for years, and quickly dialed it to facetime. He declined it and I huffed in annoyance. I expected it because he didn't particularly like talking to people and he didn't know that it was me. I tried again and luckily he answered.

"Yoo, who the fu-" he stopped when he saw my smiling face. "Bruh, wtf? Where have you been?!" He demanded right away and gave me his famous hostile glare. He was in the driver seat of his car.

"Awww, I missed you too bae," I cooed. He relaxed and rubbed his messy raven hair, his mysterious brown eyes was hidden behind his glasses.

"Vivi," he called. "Did you destroy your phone again?" He rolled his eyes.

I shook my head. "It's a long story, I-"

"Well, you can explain when I'm there." He interrupted.

I frowned my brows, "what do you mean? Where are you?"

He took his stare to the road and off me."Near the pack grounds,"

"What?!?" He asked what was wrong when my face mortified into horror. "Ronnie stop, I'm not at the pack. You can't go there!!!" I shouted.

I heard the car screech to a sudden stop as he pulled over. His attention was completely towards me. "I'm listening." He said with his eyes squinted silently, I could hear his fingers tapping impatiently on the staring wheel.

"Okay, so....." I spent the next few minutes updating on everything that recently went down. Then I told him my mother's plan.

He dropped his head in his hand and gave out a frustrated sigh, but he wasn't at all surprised. If anything you looked disappointed.

I frowned, "Is there something you want to tell me?"

He told me nothing, and then apologized for not being there for me. I was hesitant but brushed it off.

"I'll see you soon." He said with a smile.

"As expected." I answered with a cocky smile. "Your world is probably falling apart without me."

He rolled his eyes. "Whatever makes you sleep at night."

I giggled, "I really do miss you."

"I know, you can't seem to go a day without me. I don't even know how you survived these past few days." He chuckled.

I decided to play along, "I thought I was going to die."

We both laughed, then talked for a while longer. He asked if I was okay and whether or not I was comfortable at the lichen pack. I assured him that everything was fine. Ronnie was a busy person, but he made time for me. He didn't explain what he was actually doing but he was making a life for himself. He had a job and he joined a new pack.

"I'll call you tonight." He promised. "I have something to take care of."

"Like what?" I asked.

"I'll call you later. Love you kiddo." He smiled.

"Love you too."

*

I decided to go for another run after dinner with Cecilia and her parents and talking to Ronnie. On my way back I heard that vicious growl and thought it would be great to follow it again. Maybe it was because I had nothing to do and was bored, or maybe, it was because I had a death wish.

I laid in the tall grass to hide away and hoped it didn't pick my scent up. It was snarling and growling on the other side of the lake, it's golden eyes were glowing with hatred. I was left memorized by them. I wondered what made it so angry, and what it would end up doing.

I pecked up when he took off in the forest and went after him. I was able to cross the lake with on rocks nearby. My surroundings became a blur from the speed I was running, I jumped over fallen trees, Bushes and boulders. I came to sudden halt when I saw a dead end. I growled annoyed that I lost him, the growl low in my chest sounded more like a rattle.

I instinctively sniffed the air to pick up a clue of where he went, but I only got the most wonderful smell I ever had a chance to experience. Somehow, I couldn't help myself. I had to follow the path into the unknown. I had to find the source. I got closer to the oddly satisfying scent, and I found myself breathing in deeply to capture it.

Out of the blue, the large wolf appeared before me, he made an aggressive growl with bared teeth. I closed my eyes. I thought I was going die, I thought he was going to kill me. I was sure I was dead. Unexpectedly, nothing happened. It stop snarling, if I hadn't opened my eyes, I'd assumed it got bored and went away. But his golden eyes were fixed on me.

In that moment, I realized that this was not an outrageous creature standing before me, but my mate, a breathtakingly beautiful wolf; an alpha. My sense quickly became saturated by his scent and heat. He raised his snout and howled again, this time it wasn't aggressively, he howled in approval. I didn't have to go through with mother's plan now, he changed everything. I nudged him with my nose then licked his face, I felt awestruck.

He gave a short purring sound then everything changed, that wonderful moment disappeared. He growled again, like something had once again angered him. He backed away from me then ran off. I didn't bother going after him, my heart shattered at the sight I my mate turning his back on me.

Did he reject me?