Chapter 18

Kylen pov

I finally did it, I told my mom what was happening with me. I could finally get the help and support I need but was too stubborn to ask for. I didn't want her to worry about it until I figured something out but for the safety of the pack I had to do this.

"I'll take care of the shield from now on." She said pacing in the meeting room. "You should stop using your powers too, until we figure it out."

"Mom," I stood, "You can't take up my responsibilities, I'm alpha. It's my job."

"And it's my job, as your mother, to protect you," She stopped pacing madly and glared at me. "It's my job to make sure you're okay." I frowned at the tears starting to fill her eyes. "I can't sit back  and watch someone get taken away from me again!!" She cried, tears soaking her face.

I thought back to aunt Mikayla and how she died, it bothered me that mom continued to blame herself for something she has no control of.

"You're just as stubborn as me, and that will be the death of you. We're here for you Clark," she said using my real name, which she only did when she was serious. Her eyes didn't leave my chest even when I had my shirt back on. "I've been exactly where you are, and shutting people out isn't worth it."

"Mom," I sighed, approaching her. Covering her face with both hands she began to sob uncontrollably. "I'm sorry for not coming to you sooner."

It broke my heart to see my mother like this, and it's all because of me.

The door burst open causing mom to flinch but she continue crying not knowing that dad entered the room; looking like he was about to kill some one. He must have sense mom's feelings and came running to see what's wrong.

"What happened here?" He growled walking up to us.

"We'll talk later dad," I sighed knowing I'll have to tell him too. "Take care of mom for now, she needs you."

Taking mom away from me he picked her up and walked out whispering words of assurance to her without knowing what was wrong.

I wish my mate and I had my parents relationship. At this point I don't know how to approach Genieve. We don't know each other's backgrounds and both of us have our differences. I don't get her hatred towards human and I'm yet to understand her disrespect towards my mother.

After finding her at the lake I had her escorted to a hotel in the city, with some of her things. Having her in my parents house right now wasn't a good idea. We had some things to talk about, especially that male I found her with the other day. When I saw him, my first instinct was to defend myself, and when I touched him my body responded. I've never felt anything like that before. This wasn't because of any mate bond or jealousy.

"Kylen?" A familiar voice called. A smile lift my lips at the sight of Meara standing at the doorway. Mom mentioned her return earlier.

"Hey you," we hugged then began to catch up. Unlike the other alphas and I, Meara decided to further herself in college and we supported her with everything she needed. We talked for hours before we decided to leave the office.

"Meara, I'll see you later okay?" I said going to my car. "Will you be okay?"

She nodded and I got in my car and drove off. I needed to see my mate.

Without thinking about it I went straight to the hotel and up to the sweet she was staying in. I knocked on the door, after waiting for an answer but got none I did it again, and again. I grow worried and decided to get a spare cardkey. I knew it wasn't right to break in but I was concerned.

Rushing into the suite, i followed my mate's scent to one of the rooms. I frowned not finding her on the bed, with confusion I followed soft snores to the closet. The confusion settled in when I found my mate on the floor curled up.

"Genevieve?" I found myself saying. Her ears pecked up at the the sound of my voice and she growled.

"It's just me mate," I held my hands up to show I met her no harm. "I'm going to the living room, shift and join me."

I didn't wait on any form of confirmation from her wolf and left. After a few minutes she came in.

"Why were you sleeping in your wolf form?" I asked when she sat down in the couch across from me. I wished she had sat with me.

"That's none of your concern," she rolled her eyes.

I clenched my fists, annoyed by her attitude. "Genevieve, I'm your mate but I'm the alpha here. How can I treat you as my equal when you have no respect for me. Apparently you don't care for anyone of authority around you." I hissed.

"You're in lichen, which ever pack you came from seems to not have had any rules but here it's different. I want to have a future with you, nothing will change that but you need to get it together with my family. And you need to fix that attitude or I'll gladly do it for you."