streetlight

sometimes i feel like a streetlight.

i light up for everyone else when they need me, a guiding figure in the dark, a pathway for the lost. a beacon of hope for those who needed some and the very presence of light in an otherwise dim atmosphere.

the light is never blinding — never overpowering or bright enough where you need to shield your eyes. its light is enough to be seen, and to be used and followed so the person in need can trust the path is one they can walk on. its a calming presence — an escape from the shadowy edges that flank it— and it serves its purpose in a silent yet resilient manner.

streetlights are never seen alone— not really. they could be in the middle of a city or on the outskirts of the country, either way they are surrounded by other life — of trees and plants, of people and animals, and even themselves. you never see just one, its a group effort, streetlights, yet one certainly makes a difference.

however, streetlights don't ever see interaction. it doesn't have a button you press, or piece of itself that moves for purpose. a streetlight's only purpose is the light up the dark, no matter how tired the bulb is. a streetlight doesn't need comfort, it doesn't need companionship or protection. it has a purpose and it its only job is to fulfill that.

and sometimes — sometimes i feel like a streetlight.

people don't want to get too close, they prefer to watch the brightness from a distance, using me only to bring light into their lives. they don't see the comfort i desire, the companionship i seek. people don't look too deep at streetlights; they don't see the power they hold nor how much they really do for them.

and sometimes i feel like a streetlight.