Chapter Four

"The week is long, the silver cat feeds when blue meets yellow in the west" the four read off of the whiteboard

"I mean, it just, it just can't be right," Steve says as he closes scoops ahoy for the night.

"It's right" Robin states. "Honestly I think it's great news" Dustin adds.

"How is this great news?" "I mean so much for being American hero's. It's total nonsense" Steve replies as he tried to catch up to everyone.

"It's not nonsense. It's too specific. It's obviously a code" Dustin adds.

"What do you mean a code?" Steve asks.

"Like a super-secret spy code"

"That's a total strength" Steve mumbled

"I don't know, is it?" Robin asked. "You're buying into this?" Steve asked.

"Listen, just for kicks,  let's entertain the possibility that it is a secret Russian transmission. What'd you think they were gonna say, "fire the warhead at noon"?".

"Exactly," both Dustin Anna said at the same time.

"And my translation is correct. I know that for sure, so, the silver cat feeds. Why would anyone talk like that unless they're trying to mask the meaning of their message?" Robin said.

"Exactly," Dustin and Anna said again.

"Why would anyone mask the true meaning of their message unless the message was somehow sensitive?"

Steve started mocking them. Anna noticed and punched his shoulder.

"So I guess that confirms your suspicion," she says.

"Evil Russians" Dustin adds. "I can't believe I'm about to agree with a strange child, but, yeah totally evil Russians," she says.

"Why is everyone so smart all of a sudden?" Steve whispered to Anna.

"So how do we crack it?" Dustin asked.

"Well, I guess we translate the rest and hopefully a pattern emerges," Robin says.

"A pattern. Right, like maybe silver cat is a meeting place?" Dustin asks. "Or a person" Robin adds.

"Or a weapon" Anna mumbles. "It's probably gonna take a super genius to crack it," Robin said.

"So not Anna" Steve mumbled. Dustin laughed. And Anna punched his shoulder again, harder than last time.

They continued walking and then Robin noticed Steve wasn't next to Anna anymore. "Wheres Steve?" she asked.

They all looked at him next to the small horse ride. "Hey, Steve. What are you doing?" Robin asked.

"Uh, it's a quarter. I need- do you have a quarter?" he asked.

"Sure you're tall enough for that ride?" Robin asked making the three laugh and Steve continued to ask for a quarter.

The ride started and the music started to play. "You need help getting up, little Stevie?" Anna asked.

Robin, Dustin and her started laughing. "Would you three just shut up and listen?" he asked.

"Holy shit" Dustin mumbled as Robin and Anna were still confused. "The music".

Dustin played the tape. "I don't understand," Robin said. "Neither do I" Anna muttered.

"It's the exact same song on the recording," Dustin said. "Maybe they have horses like this in Russia" Robin suggested.

"Indiana Tyler? I don't... I don't think so. This code, it... Didn't come from Russia. It came from here" he said.

––––––

Robin walked over to her bike as Steve walked to his car. "Hey, Robin do you want a ride?" Annabelle asked. "I have my bike" she replied.

"I could fit it in my car," she said.

"Okay," Robin said and she walked her bike over to her car.

"You shouldn't have agreed," Dustin said. "What?" Robin asked.

"She's a terrible driver".

Robin put her bike in the back of the car and then got in the passenger's seat. "Don't listen to Dustin I'm not a terrible driver" she said.

"You almost hit Mike!" Dustin yelled. "Okay the first time was all my fault but the second time was his, he was in the way," she said.

"It happened a second time!" he yelled. Robin laughed as Anna carefully pulled out of the mall parking lot.

She turned up the radio and the song tainted love by soft cells played.

Everyone in the car either sang along to the song or laughed so much that their stomachs hurt.

The song ended once she got to Robins's house. "You're not that bad at driving," she said. "Thanks, that actually means a lot".

"Why were you offended?" Dustin asks once she pulled away from the house.

"What?"

"This morning when I said you could have all the guys you want and more you were offended," he says.

Oh no. He knows.

"Do you like someone and that's why you were offended?" he asked.

"Yeah kinda," she replied.

"Is it Steve?" he asked.

Or maybe he doesn't know.

"No, it's not Steve," she said. "Jonathan?" Dustin asked.

"No" she replied.

"Oh no," Dustin said.

"What?"

"It's not Max's stepbrother Billy right?" he asked.

"Ew no it's not him" she replied sounding disgusted.

"Then who is it?" he asked. "I guess you will never know," she says once they pull up in their driveway.

"Please tell me," Dustin said. "No, I don't want to talk about this anymore I'm tired and I want to sleep," she says. Dustin groaned.