Chapter Twenty

"I can't breathe in this thing, and I'm itchy. I'm itchy all over" Robin mutters. "It's not all about comfort. Okay? We're academics"

"Who is evidently coming straight from Easter brunch. Also, this bra that you gave me is really pinching my boobs"

"Okay, would you just let me do the talking if that's even possible?" Nancy asks. "It's not only possible, but it's also inevitable because shortly I'll be dead from strangulation"

"Why do you even have these in your closet?" Anna asks. "Hand me downs, I got them a few years ago"

"If I were you, I would burn them while I still have the chance"

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"3.9 GPAs. All of you. Impressive"

"And this is my recommendation from professor Brantley" Nancy mentioned before handing him the paper. "Yeah, I know Larry. Quite well, actually"

"You know what they say. 'Those who can't do, teach" he says with a smile. Everyone fakes a laugh until Nancy starts talking again. "Uh, yes. That's actually why we're here. I mean we can only learn so much in a classroom"

"And I'm sympathetic to your struggle, truly. But there is a protocol for visiting a patient like Victor. You have to put in a request and then undergo a screening process at which point, the board will make their decision"

"I can see you're disappointed. But I'm more than happy to give you a tour of our facility. Perhaps you can speak to some patients in our low-security wing"

"And we'd love that... It's just that um, our thesis is due next month"

"And you're out of time" he snaps back. "Who's fault is that?"

"Ours. Absolutely and I do apologize..."

Robin shakes her head. "Don't apologize Ruth screw that. The fact is, we did put in a request months ago and we were denied. And then we replied and were denied again. And coming here was our last effort to save our thesis. And I really can't breathe in this Ruth"

"Uh well Rose, maybe you would like to go outside and get some fresh air?"

"Maybe I should Ruth," she said as she smacked her hands on the table and then stood up. "I'm starting to think this whole thing is a colossal mistake. I'm breaking out in a rash, my boobs hurt"

"And I'll tell you the truth Anthony, may I call you Anthony? These aren't actually my clothes, I borrowed them because I wanted you to take me seriously because no one takes girls seriously in this field. They just don't. We don't look at the part or whatever. But can I tell you a story?"

"1978, I was at summer camp"

Anna sat in her chair trying to figure out why that sounded so familiar as Robin continued.

"My counsellor Drew told me and everyone in cabin C the true story of the Victor Creel massacre. And little Petey Mchew. You know Petey right?"

"Yep," Nancy and Anna both lied. "Yeah, little Pewty Mchew started sobbing right there on the spot. Full-on hyperventilating. All the other campers couldn't sleep for weeks and I couldn't sleep either, not because I was scared but because I was obsessed with the question, 'what would drive a human being to commit such unimaginable acts?'"

"Other kids wanted to be astronauts, basketball players, rock stars. But I wanted to be you! I wanted to be you. So, forgive me if I'll now try anything in my power, including wearing this ridiculous outfit. If I might get to speak to the man that ignited my passion and learn a little more about how he's twisted, but let's face it totally fascinating mind works"

"So, yes, we don't have the official paperwork, but don't tell me that cry-baby Petey Mchew wouldn't have gotten an audience with Victor in moments if he'd asked politely because you and I both know that he would. So ten minutes with Victor, that's all I ask"

He was silent, he didn't know how to reply or what to say. At this point, he had no choice but to let them speak with Victor. And he did.

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"These are our gardens. Beautiful, aren't they?" "We allow them two hours of outside time a day"

"Can't they just escape?" Robin asks. "They could but the vast majority chose to be here. They like it here"

"This is one of our more popular areas. The listening room. We found that music has a particularly calming effect on the broken mind. The right song, particularly one that holds some personal meaning, can prove a salient stimulus. But there are those who, beyond a cure"

"Uh, Dr. Hatch, do you think it might be possible for us to speak to Victor alone?" Nancy asks. Both Dr. Hatch and the security guard gives them a weird look. "Alone?"

"I think that we would just love the challenge of speaking with Victor. Without the safety net of an expert such as yourself"

"Yeah, then we could really rub it in professor Bradley's face," Anna said. "Professor Bradley? I don't believe I know a professor, Bradley"

Anna went blank as she realized the one time she said something she fucked up. "Brantley" Nancy corrected. "She meant to say, Brantley"

"Yeah! I thought I did say, Brantley... I'm just tired, silly me" Anna replied, she just wanted to shut up and not say anything again. A smile slowly appeared on his face and all the girls signed in relief.

"Alone, why not. You've caught me in a rebellious mood and there is something rather urgent I need to check anyway, so sure"

"Thank you so much, Dr. Hatch" the girls mutter as he walks away. The three slowly walk threw the hallway. "Do not startle him. Do not touch him. Do not pass him anything. Stand five feet away from the bars at all times. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir"

"Victor, today's your lucky day! You got visitors, real pretty ones. Must be in one of his moods. Have fun" the security guard says before walking away.

"Victor?" Nancy asks which just makes him scratch the table louder. "My name is Nancy, Nancy Wheeler. This is-"

"Robin Buckley"

"Anna Henderson"

"And we uh have some questions"

"I don't talk to reporters. Hatch knows that" Victor says as he continues scratching the table. "We're not reporters. We're here because we believe you and because we need your help"

"Whatever killed your family. We think it's back". He slowly turned around and startled everyone once they saw both his eyes were missing.