Chapter Sixteen

"I need to ask you something!" Anna yelled once she ran into the store. "Good morning to you too" Steve sighed after he cleaned the counters. She looked around the store making sure Robin wasn't there. 

"How do you know if you're in love?" 

Steve's eyebrows rose and he stared at her for a minute to process what she had just asked. "It's six in the morning and you're asking the most random question"

"Sorry. But seriously how do you know if you're in love?"

"Do you think you're in love with Robin?" he asked as he walked around the store putting movie tapes on the shelves. "I don't know because I don't know how to tell if you're in love because you won't answer my question" she nagged as she trailed behind him.

"Why are you even asking me this"

"Because you've been in love before! With Nancy! And I've never been in love before, I mean I have but that was just with fictional characters so that doesn't count but when do you think is 'too soon' to love someone"

"I don't know when 'too soon' is, I realized I loved Nancy after 4 months into our relationship" he explained. "Ok, so what does love feel like?"

"It feels like... Love"

"Wow, you're so creative"

"I don't know how to explain it, it's just like you're happy around them and you feel something, you know?"

"No, I don't know" she mumbled before sitting on the floor and leaning against one of the shelves. "Well it's nice your opening up to me," Steve says.

"What do you mean?"

"You never open up to anyone" he replied.

"That's not true I was open last year when I came out to you and Dustin" she blurted. "You didn't really come out to Dustin, he just found out and then he told me"

"He told you?"

"Uh- no, he didn't that was a lie. But my point is you never open up to anyone, not Dustin, not Robin or me. You don't even talk to us much, I think you said more to me right now in the past five minutes than you've said in the past week"

"Well I'm being open now"

"Anna, I've known you for seven years and this is the first time in those seven years that you've opened up to me or I don't know 'expressing your feelings'"

"Expressing your feelings?" she mocked. "But it's true. Why don't you open up more?" he questioned.

"It's just always seemed selfish to me, I hate talking about myself because it makes me feel selfish and I feel like I'm trying to make it sound like everything revolves around me and I hate attention and I hate the feeling of talking about myself like I'm doing right now" she explained before hiding her face with her hands. 

The moment he sat next to her she knew he was going to give her some random pep talk she didn't need or want. "You don't need to give me a pep talk I already got one from Ms. Kelly"

"Ms. Kelly?" Steve asked. "She's the school guidance counsellor" Anna explained. "Since when did you start going to the guidance counsellor?"

"Only a week ago but can we go back to when you said Dustin told you that I liked Robin?"

"Nope, as I said there's nothing there"

"Is that so?"

☆ ゜・ 。。・ ゜゜・ 。。・ ゜★

"How was your date with Heidi?" Robin asks as she restacks the VHS tapes. "That wasn't Heidi, it was Brenda"