August 27th 2021 | y/n

12:39 P.M

I got in a little practice at ten this morning. Then I decided I should head out. I'm glad I did, I haven't gone out in a while.

I listen to my music and type on my laptop while I sip on my coffee. This coffee shop is a nice remnant of every time I went here with my friends as a teen. It was always just the four of us. Strange how none of us talk anymore.

Atlas, Isabelle, Evan, and y/n. I guess we drifted apart for good reasons. A big piece of me misses them. I know I've moved on though.

I've been avoiding my move from Iowa because of my mom. I want to be able to go to the beach. I want to live somewhere that people don't forget so often. It's about time I finally leave this place. I've even got an apartment in southern Georgia waiting for me.

I'm just too scared to leave her. What if she needs help or something happens? She's got nobody else.

I stand up and grab my laptop. I slip my bag onto my shoulder. I lay a ten and a five down then head to the door. My steps make a soft clicking as I make my way to the parking lot.

I start my car and make my way to my mom's house. It's much smaller than my place. I even offered for her to stay with me, but she said she didn't need me. It came out sort of pissed off, which was strange for her.

I pull into the driveway and make sure not to back into her car. I told her yesterday that we needed to talk. I couldn't do this over the phone.

I knock on the door and she opens it almost immediately. Like she was waiting right next to the door. She hugs me comfortably.

She steps back, a small and unsure smile playing on her lips. I follow her into the room. I bite my lip, nervous. "So, what's up?" She straightens a few papers she has out. I chew on my fingernails.

"Come on, didn't I tell you not to do that anymore?" She laughs lightly. Her eyes glisten in the dim light of her living room. I try to keep a smile plastered on my face. The silence is interrupted by me clearing my throat.

There is a face of realization on her face. But it's a happy realization. "Wow! I thought my friend at work was being crazy. She said she wanted to do some psychic reading for me. I had told her to do it for you! She said you met someone! You know I don't believe in that stuff, but you-"

"No, mom, no. It's not good news." I take her hand. Her smile begins to fade. Her head tilts in confusion.

Her thumb caresses my hand just like she always used to when I was a child. "Well, it is good news.. But I have a hard time telling you this... I'm moving, well I'm finalizing my move to Georgia." I say to her.

Her soft and heartwarming eyes squeeze near the outer edges. A small smile appears again. "Honey, I'll be okay without you. I know we were always together and we always only had each other, but I can survive by myself." She says to me.

There is a hint of something else in her voice. Like she doesn't mean herself. Like I'm not scared for her. Like I'm scared that I'll be alone. I am not scared of being alone. Alone is perfectly fine.

She- She doesn't know what she's talking about. I am wholly fine with being alone. I'm an introvert, alone is great. Alone is like a dream. I will be just superb without my mom, I'm fine. Just fine.