November 16th 2021 | y/n

2:43 P.M

I stand at the door, clutching my purse with everything I have. My breath snags on itself and I look up at Clay. He gives me a comforting and oh-so reassuring smile. I kick my foot forward once or twice and it lands on its heel.

I tap my toes forward and look down at myself again. I decided against my jeans, my hoodies, my t-shirts. I chose to wear the dress Clay got me to get, it seemed wholesome enough. "Hey, you look great." Clay's hand lands on my shoulder. Of course he'd say that.

"Thanks." I laugh nervously. I lift my arm and finally ring the doorbell. Very quickly a woman with hair slightly lighter than my mom's opens the door. "Y/n! I'm so glad you could make it, please come in. Your dad has been nonstop talking about you all day."

"I'm Brianna, you don't mind if I call him your dad, do you?" She asks me. Hyperactive like my mom too I see. I glance up at Clay. "I- I would prefer if you didn't." I fold my hands in front of myself. "Then I won't."

I little girl with short pitch-black hair waddles into the living room, followed by Desmond. His eyes catch on me, then Clay. He quickly switches his gaze to me and rushes to me. Brianna picks the young girl up. "Can I hug you?" He asks me.

I slowly nod. He bear-hugs me and I look at Clay through the corner of my eye. He holds in laughter. "Mommy!" Another little girl runs out, older than the first. Desmond lets go of me and his eyes fix on the man to my right.

The older man clears his throat. The girl jumps up into Brianna's arms, forcing her to hold them both. She seems to be doing so seamlessly. "So, you'd be?" Desmond looks up at Clay, he's trying to be intimidating, but the height difference makes that difficult.

"I'm Clay, y/n's friend." He holds his hand out. Clay seems to be getting a little irritated. "Why are you here?" Desmond asks. "Because I've been staying at y/n's since she had... Uh.. Met... You." I take no time and do not hesitate to elbow Clay in the side.

He gasps and tries to ignore the pain. "Sorry about him, he lacks self-awareness." I take a step forward. I stand between the two men. Brianna walks over to the three of us. "Who are you?" The older asks.

"I'm-" She jumps in. "Hi, I'm Connie!" My head moves back. Surprised at her outgoingness, she's my sister? "Sorry about that, she has a bad habit of interrupting people," Desmond says.

"This is y/n, Nisha?" Desmond looks at the younger girl. I look at the girl. She stares at me and I fluster. I take a step back. Clay's hand settles to my hip to steady me. Desmond's eyes shoot down at the place of contact. Clay swiftly moves his hand up to my elbow.

My cheeks burn. Brianna lets the girls down from her arms. Immediately, Connie grabs onto my hand. "Come play with me!" Clay lets go of my arm. I walk with Connie over to a toy kitchen. She sits down and pats the wood next to her and I sit.

I watch Clay walk over to the kitchen with Brianna. The two get to talking very quickly. I look back at the little girl. "You're really pretty y'know." She says while attaching the velcro of her sneaker to a toy burger bun. Obviously not what it's meant for, but it's humorous regardless.

"You think so?" I chuckle and look at her. She just nods and plays with a small pink spoon. She twiddles the toy between her small fingers. "You look like my mom. But her eyes are different from yours. And you got a kinda different nose." True, Brianna and I do look alike.