27: A Wife's Duty

After leaving the livingroom, Kyojuro led you into a small room by the genkan (foyer) and towards a large rosewood cabinet.

You watched as he got down on his knees and opened the cabinet's double doors, revealing it to be a butsudan (altar). Inside were two vases, each one filled with red, yellow, and white camellias. On the right were a small bowl of assorted fruit and a pot with three sage sticks.

You then glanced towards the center, only to spot an old, vintage photo of a beautiful woman with long, dark hair styled in a side plait and dressed in a kimono.

"That's my mother, Rengoku Ruka!" Kyojuro tells you.

You remembered the heartfelt story he shared about his mother's passing due to an incurable illness. The way he talked about his mother with such reverence and affection stayed with you. As you study the photo, you can't help but feel grateful for the influence she has had on his life. This is the woman that raised Kyojuro with so much love and care, evident in the gentle smile on her face in the picture.

Kyojuro may have Shinjuro's looks, but you can definitely see where he gets his kind heart and compassionate nature from.

"She's beautiful." You say, kneeling down beside him.

Kyojuro nodded before bowing his head and folded his hands in prayer. You did the same as you both sat in silence.

"Hello mother, I hope you're doing well. This is (Name), the love of my life and your future daughter-in-law!" Kyojuro says, causing you to giggle softly.

You had no doubt that Ruka could hear her son from the afterlife as you smiled warmly at him─blushing at how wholesomely cliche he can be sometimes. With his father's fiery looks and mother's cordiality, Kyojuro's truly is perfect...and you love him dearly.

Looking back at the photo, it was like Ruka was actually looking at you. Her scarlet red eyes shoned with kindness, love, and wisdom.

You felt the need to thank this goddess of a woman for giving birth to such a magnificent man, who's going to be your husband.

Eventually, you opted to go along as you bowed your head. "H-hello Mrs. Rengoku, it's an absolute pleasure to meet you. I want to tell you just how much I love and care for your son! You have raised him well. I promise to take good care of him and keep him out of trouble." You say, silently hoping the woman could hear you through the heavens.

"Hey, I don't get into trouble!" Kyojuro pouted, before poking you in the side, causing you to yelp at the ticklish feeling.

Kyojuro's eyes lit up at this as he continued to poke your tummy, causing you to curl away from him.

"Stooooppp Kyo, I-I'm ticklish!" You laughed, swatting his hands away.

"Only if you take back what you said!" He teased, this time grabbing both your sides. You instantly came undone, laughing hysterically as he tickled you.

"Ok, ok, I take it back! I yield! Now quit it!" You surrendered, as Kyojuro eased up only to leaned forward and gave you quick kiss on the cheek.

"Kyo, not in front of your mother!" You'd blushed red like a tomato.

Unbeknownst to the both of you, the photo of Ruka had changed with the woman now smiling happily.