Chapter 20: Never alone

*Karie, Kyle, Max
don't ask me how I found this I got no clue..
-

"CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE ROCK. IS. COOKING?!"

"No, no, no!" Dylan screetched as Max came crashing down in an elbow drop, pinning the kid to the foam mates covering the floors.

"Wait, do me next!" Austin ran forward, practically crashing into his side. The man grunted, grabbing his waist and flipping him onto the ground. The kid shouted in excitement, "HELL YEAH."

"Ay." Max warned, giving him a little noggie. "Language you brat." He jumped back a little at a clearing of a throat. Andrea; one of the oncology residents, was back just in time. He smiled shyly and she gave him a look.

"Gentle, Max."

"Yeah, yeah, I know."

"No gentle!" The boys began to shout, running to bowl each other over. Max looked over then, catching a glimpse of the smile on Kyle's lips.

"What?" He began to stand dusting at his clothes. The grin didn't slip from his face. "Like what you see?" He teased.

"Dude. Ew." Dylan stated from the ground, Austin nodding in agreement. Kyle nodded as well, equally unappreciative.

"Dude, butt out." He palmed the kids forhead, shoving him back. The boy groaned, swatting the hand away. Max's eyes settled on Kyle a moment later. "Come on, your turn-

"Sorry to interrupt but I need Dylan for a second."

"Is it about the baby?" Max stepped closer, maturity surficing quickly. The kid hopped up to his side then, the same buzzed down head as Max. He placed an arm around the pre tween, squeezing him in anticipation.

"Your sisters just arrived." Andrea smiled easily. She pulled out a Polaroid of Dylan's mom and dad dressed in gowns and caps, thumbs held high with big smiles. The red faced (alien looking) baby was held in their arms.

"Heh..uh..cool." Max shook him a little, laughing. The boy wiped roughly at his eyes, scowling at his tears. "Everything's okay? I can go play now, right?"

"Yes, your excused. They said to have fun while you can. You won't be sleeping much for quite some time."

"Ugh." The boy deadpanned at that, turning abruptly to go to his friends. Max chuckled low, conversation hushing as the kids were distracted.

"It's really okay?"

"She came out great. Their getting Baby checked out and Mom closed up." She patted Max's shoulder. "They'll all be just fine, stop worrying."

Max watched the kid, sighing. He looked to Kyle slowly, having noticed the time. They would have to meet Christian soon.

Despite the tension building in Max's posture, he took a breath. He was always good at showing the kids a good time, even when he was in pain. Both physically and otherwise.

He clapped quickly, drawing the boys in for a quick bare hug. "Im off now, got stuff to take care of."

"No, you've only been here for like.." He glanced nervously to Dylan who just shrugged "Like 12..minutes or something."