Chapter 24: Peace

Max, Kyle, and Karie all walked out of the court house, not saying a word. Though he had a weight off his shoulders knowing the predator who'd caused so much harm was behind bars, it was..

For ages Max had been forced to fight. All he'd wanted was to be a normal dude, be like everyone else. Stressing over grades and sports and relationships that ultimately wouldn't last more than a month.

But for him it was just one thing after another. He had so much shit going on in his life, it really just didn't seem worth it sometimes. What the hell could all of this crap even amount to?

He wasn't sure how much fight he had left in him. He was drained physically, emotionally, mentally. He couldn't take anything else.

His thoughts were only confirmed when he slowed to a sudden stop, a middle age lady rushing over, her long brown curls bouncing over her shoulders, tanned skin wrinkled. Max's heart dropped at the sight.

Of course this would happen.

He took a few steps back and to the side, turning to walk away and head another route to the car, ANY way that didn't involve running into the lady so clearly aiming for him, face grim with worry.

Max grumbled under his breath, glaring at Karie who just happened to be next to him as he ran into the guys broad shoulder.

Karie looked confused as to what he did for a second but his face turning into realization as the slight Spanish accent called out to Max.

"Max, Mijito, I came as soon as I heard what happened!" She clutched at him desperatly, pulling him into a hurried hug and kisses. He stood stunned, unable to process all the steaming anger that began to rise.

"What did that man do to you, baby?" She cried, pulling at him. Her eyes widened as her arms were grabbed, the sleeves of her shirt yanked to reveal his worst fears.

"This is why you left?"

"Max-

He shoved her out of his way, storming for the car. He yanked his hand from her grasp as she pleaded.

"Max! Mijo, please! Let your mother explain!"

"YOU ARE NOT MY MOM!" Max turned, facing her down. The clarity in his statement, shouted for all the people in the parking lot to hear, had her gasping for words. "You stay away from me, I don't ever wanna see you again, si?! Fucking concha!"

"Hey!" Max shrugged out of the large hand pulling at him. He spat on the ground in front of the women, not having room for any of her bullshit excuses. He looked his mother square in the eye with all the hatred he could muster. "You should've stayed gone."

He could hear Kyle trying to direct a few brief parting words to his sobbing mother, anything he felt she needed to know but rushed to get back to the guys.

"Max." Karie stated as if it would change anything. He scoffed, hopping into the back. He gripped at the seat before him, trying his fucking hardest to breath. He thought back to the cancer and his mother and the trial.

"Que chingados..?"

DaKarie called once more cutting him off where he realized he'd been mumbling his heated thoughts. They drowned out into painful tears as he gripped his face.

"Hey bambes, get the wheel for me." Kyle nodded, hopping into the front and beginning to drive. "Your place?"

"Yeah, thanks." DaKarie muttered, too busy trying to get Max to look him in the eyes. He gripped at his neck softly. "Hey, pendejo." Max dropped his hands, knowing exactly what he was doing.