Chapter 22: Christian

Christian didn't allow himself to think, pulling his car up on one of the strips of downtown. Some guy honked as he stepped out into the street. He glared the man's way, not caring as he slammed his door hard enough he was suprised the window didn't crack or something.

"Look who it is." One of the old ladies spoke, waddling over with her cane. Her and her posse of grannies greeted him. He tried to be polite but was far too pissed off for pleasantries.

He pulled away from the mob as quick as he could, holding the door for them as they entered. He used the time as an excuse to look for Noah.

"Dude, no way-" A girls giggle could be heard from before the stage. His eyes found the figure yet he wasn't suprised at who it was. His grip on the door hardened, Noah before her with that gorgeous smile of his, laughing at something.

"Hi, I'm Chloe. Nice to meet you!" She stretched a friendly hand out across the wooden arm of the pew chair. He glanced to Noah briefly before taking her hand. It would be..rude to reject, right?

"Yeah. Christian."

"I've heard so much about you-

"Girl, we gotta get up front! Come on!" A friend of hers ushered her on, grabbing her arm. They were dressed in those weird robes that people in the choir wore. She made a face, spouting some quick goodbyes.

"We'll talk after!" Noah called, a little too loud. Christian watched him watch her go. That dopey grin.

He looked away, fiddling with the books that were spread out along the backs of the seats. They looked like something you'd order off of at a restaurant. It was weird.

"Hey." Noah whispered loudly. He looked over briefly, caught off guard by his closeness. Their bodies pressed together and Noah continued to get closer in his excitement. "You know she's in the choir?"

"I gathered."

"Yeah. Dude, her voice is amazing just wait. You can kinda hear it more then the rest. Or maybe only I can, I don't know. But you gotta see." Noah rambled, meeting the girls eyes. He smirked, blushing a little. He gave a wave.

"Hey, do you sing?" Christian stared down, as if he was seriously considering the page. He thought briefly to when he was younger. His mother loved to sing. Her voice was beautiful.

"Not really." He shrugged. He eyed the guy when he got no response. Noah wasn't even looking at him.

Christian focused back on the page, breathing deep. He allowed the disappointment to slip from his body, coming down from the clouds he'd been lost in. Now he knew. And that was fine.

His shoulders slumped. He backed up, preparing to make his quick exit before he could humiliate himself further. This was stupid.

It was for the best, Christian told himself. He knew it was. He was disgusting, covered in filth. Wether or not it was up to him didn't matter because it was true. After what he'd done, who he'd done it with.

Hell it was just like Max said. How could he want to live after that? How could he bring someone as pure as Noah into it? What was he even doing there?

"Christian, hey!"

His steps faultered at the sound, regretting not having booked it. He knew that voice anywhere. Noah didn't move from the doors of the church he held open, shouting obnoxiously.

"Didn't know you were coming, man. You coming in? We're about to start!"

Christian didn't look back, hardly bothering to check for traffic as he crossed the street to his car. The man might've called after him, he wasn't sure. A few minutes later he was back on the road.