Chapter 15: Expectations

DaKarie tossed and turned all night, not managing to fall asleep. He huffed, arm over his eyes as he thought again to what had been eating at him all night. Max.

All the shit he'd been going through. And probably all alone. Up until now, at least he'd had Emily, the bitch. But his boys had been talking that she's 'up for grabs' again. If that was the case then what Max said, everything was fucked up, everything was ruined. The thought was really fucking with his head.

He thought back to the last time they talked. Like some good proper rom com type shit. They were just going for a drive, wandering around aimlessly downtown. Max loved to see the lights. They had some DQ and talked a bunch of shit from annoying people at school to some deep life talks. And yeah they got a little high.

It was always different trying to be affectionate with Max. The guys, they were a little more soft. DaKarie felt the need to be soft too. Or be gentle. But with Max it was like hanging out with another one of his homies. Trying to transition that into lovy dovey shit was hard at times.

Like on the drive, Karie had wanted to fuck with him. Max was just looking out at the city, all manly and shit. He picked his hand up and kissed his knuckles like they do in the movies. DaKarie managed to keep his face hard as Max just stared like a deer in headlights. It was fucking adorable.

He frowned, rubbing his face roughly at the memory.

He knew what he said. He preached it over and over again. Fuck Max. Complicated, dramatic, needlessly selfless. And he'd left. DaKarie done already been through getting abandoned and he was over it. So why couldn't he stop worrying about the guy?

DaKarie caught himself eyeing his phone. He was about to call Max. He knocked some sense into himself real quick, jumping up to get ready for school.

He was combing down his waves when his phone pinged. He tsked when his brain jumped to conclusions of who it could be. It was Kyle, it had to be. Xaiv and him were gonna drive them to school. He knew this yet he was disappointed when he was right.

Sorry bambes, nothing personal.

Were pulling up in a sec

Bet

He trotted down the stairs, bumping into his ma on the way. They smiled awkwardly and said some goodbyes. Shit, it was weird. They were like strangers now.

DaKarie was trying to give her a chance. He guessed she was pretty cool. But it was still an adjustment. He allowed her a quick hug, dapping up his overly giddy Pops on the way out.

"Uh. China?"

Chris whipped around from the stairs he was chilling on. He rolled his eyes at the reminder. "The fuck are you doing here man?"

"Your uh-..um.." He tried but was lost for words. He waved his hand a little in the air as if the term would come to him in the breeze. Karie nodded sarcastically, feeling satisfied at the guys fumbling.