4

Ashley sighed, walking back into her friends' apartment. "Hank, Dawn" Ashley called out, before being startled by seeing Dick in the apartment. "Grayson what the hell" Ashley said. 

Dick took in a breath seeing her there. Even with sweat that was beginning to gather above her brow, and her clothes slightly disheveled from walking and the hair in her bun beginning to fall out, Dick swore she was more beautiful than ever. "Are you staying here too?" He asked her.

 "Just until this job is done" she replied. 

Dick nodded. "The offer still stands" He told her. She nodded and Dawn came running into the room. 

"Sorry, Hank's being cranky" Dawn told her. 

"I can see why" Ashley told her. "Do I need to talk to him?" Ashley asked.

"Please" Dawn told her, taking the bag of food from her and going to plate it.

"Hank?" Ashley questioned, knocking on the doorframe.

"You didn't call him here, did you?" Hank asked accusingly. 

"Go through my phone. No texts or calls for months, maybe even a year" Ashley told him with a shrug. 

"Promise?" Hank asked her. 

"I wouldn't lie to you guys, especially you princess" Ashley told him sincerely. Hank walked over to hug her, and Ashley reciprocated. "You guys are family. We don't lie to family." Ashley promised. Hank nodded, and Ashley had him follow her to the kitchen to meet Dawn so the three could eat. 

"Tonight we dine, and tomorrow we stakeout, and then we kick ass" Ashley announced and three smiled. The three smiled, while Ashley and Hank high-fived each other with mouths full of food. Ashley hoped it would be like old times.

♠️♠️♠️

Ashley and Hank sat in his car, with Hank operating the binoculars. Ashley pushed forward in the seat, attempting to see what was happening, but it was too far away. She huffed and threw her head back against the headrest and her leg began bouncing while she looked around. "Getting antsy?" Hank grunted, turning the dial on the binoculars. 

"More like I'm wound up. I don't know what's happening and my ex who is also not my ex who makes it increasingly more complicated for me to exist showed up out of nowhere in D.C. with a teenager he definitely didn't have the last time I saw him. I need some type of vent, even if that vent is taking it out on unsuspecting gun distributors who prey on children" Ashley said before popping her knuckles. 

"God that's gross" Hank said as a shiver went up his spine at the cracking noise. 

"Hell no, you do worse around me" Ashley complained. Hank grunted and Ashley sat up straighter. 

"Am I missing the good stuff?" Ashley asked dejectedly. 

"Oh yeah" Hank said with a cackle. "We have to go in tonight period" He told her. 

"Oh hell yeah" Ashley said with a high five. "That means you have to take a nap grumpy pants" Ashley told him with a laugh, making him groan. 

♠️♠️♠️

Ashley and Hank were laughing as they opened the door, and Hank stepped inside first. He led the way in, about to make another joke with Ashley as he went to pass the kitchen. "Well isn't this cozy" Hank said, obviously about to be pissed off. Ashley bit her tongue, not wanting to say anything. Dawn greeted them with a quiet 'Hey' and quickly got up, knowing a fight would break out. "If it isn't just like the old days" Hank said, taking a step into the kitchen. Ashley steeled herself for whatever hurtful sentences would come from Hank, knowing his history with Dick.