9

Dick chuckled as Ashley softly snored on his shoulder as they pulled into the motel parking lot. "We're being hunted by sociopaths, nicer places draw attention." Ashley heard Dick say as she began to awaken. 

"What are we arguing about?" Ashley groaned. 

"About where Dick wants us to sleep" Rachel said and pointed at the motel. 

"Is this place even open?" Ashley questioned groggily. 

"It'd be easier to sleep in a nicer place" Kory told Ashley enticingly, attempting to sway the woman to her side since she knew Dick would listen to Ashley's opinion. 

"Why? If people are Rachel, this would be the best place for us to lie low for a couple of hours. One road in, one road out which means easier surveillance and fewer people that will see us... It's also quiet, so if anything happens it won't be a surprise" Ashley reasoned. "Usually I might agree with sleeping in a nicer place but we're in a bit of a bind being in the middle of nowhere with crazies wanting to kill us right now and all I want to do is sleep" Ashley finished.

"Who said anything about sleep?" Dick asked suggestively, looking at Ashley. 

"Richard!" Ashley exclaimed, slapping him lightly on the arm in disgust as he smirked. "Now go get the room keys, Dick"  Ashley said, poking him. Dick opened his mouth to speak but Ashley put her index finger to his nose and said "You picked this place, you go get the room keys."

"Come with?" He asked her. 

"I hate it here" Ashley grumbled and they both got out of the mini-van. "If anyone recognizes me, I can and will beat you up" Ashley complained as she wrapped her jacket around herself tighter and looked around the area with paranoia. 

"No one will recognize you" Dick tried to reason. 

"I can feel it in my bones, Dick" Ashley said to him. " And don't you dare make a comment" Ashley said as he opened his mouth to make what was undoubtedly a snarky remark. 

Dick opened the door for Ashley to the motel lobby and followed her in. "Four rooms" Dick told the lady operating the front desk. 

"Five rooms" Ashley corrected Dick, looking at him pointedly as he looked at her in confusion.

"All close to each other please" Dick asked her. 

The woman nodded and turned around, grabbing five keys and brought them over to the counter and handed them to Dick and gave him a flirtacious look. "Here you go, five rooms all close to each other" She said, attempting to sound sultry. 

"Glad you had availability" Dick said with an awkward nod. 

"I guess we're a little slow" She told Dick. Ashley looked between her and Dick and scrunched her nose in disgust. "It's the off-season" She tried to explain after seeing the look Ashley gave her. 

"And there's an on-season" Ashley sassed, still looking at her in disgust.

"About five years, that is when my shitty ass husband left me this shitty as motel that I do not know how to run" She said gesturing around the place. 

"Sounds shitty" Dick said. "Hey, uh where's the closest place to eat around here?" Dick asked as an afterthought. 

"The liquor store across the street has snacks, other than that there's a pizza place nearby. It's Edders" She said. She leaned on the desk as she continued to talk to him. "It's actually pretty good" She told him. 

"Appreciate it" Dick said, turning around to leave and handed the keys to Ashley. 

"Oh um, the ice machine out back" The woman began. Ashley narrowed her eyes at the woman, her anger building up at the sheer audacity of the woman to continue while she was in the room. "It gets a bit testy but there's a trick to it, so if you wanna get it working I'm always up late. Room 101" She said, attempting to give a flirtacious smile.