Chapter 4

Cindy's POV :

Nanny : Just smile and greet them. You can do it. 

She said comforting me and fix my dress for the hundred times.

Nanny : *Sigh* My Lady grew up so well.

She said suddenly getting dramatic when I was about to step out of my door .

When I became his wife already , there would be no more nanny doing everything for me .

Cindy : I am just going for a dinner with them tonight. I'm still going home after it.

I said and force a smile , but she just hugged me instead. 

Nanny : Alright then , go and enjoy your meal. 

She said wiping her tears and let go of me .

----Time skip----

Father : Your Grace. 

My father  said and we all bow down as his Grace came together with his wife. 

[Your Grace- proper way of addressing the Duke.]

Duke: Ow Dr. Smith~! It's nice to see you again!

The Duke said with his loud deep voice , and my father walk toward them.

Dutch : Please have a sit. 

His wife said and so my mother and I bowed down before taking our sit. 

[ Dutch- Duke's wife ]

Dutch : My son is still dressing up, but he will come-----

and she stopped when she saw someone walking inside.

Dutch : Ow~ there you go~ Speaking of my son. 

She said and I stand up together with my parents to greet him .

Father / Mother :  Good evening ,my Lord. 

They said, but out of nervousness , I just bow ninety degree. 

My body's shakiness even get worst when I smell his perfume and heard him walking toward me. I took a deep breath as I sense his presence, standing in front of me ,tho I still remain bowing on him . 

" You must be Cindy "

He said and I suddenly thought of someone as he speak and reveal his voice . I slowly raise my head to look at him while thinking of that man I met in the market, cause they kinda sound the same .

Cindy : Ah---Y--yes my Lord. 

I stutter, still looking at his face in shock. 

Jay : Finally ,we met. 

He said and smiled like we never saw each other a while ago in the market. 

Duke : Haha I hope you two could get along with each other. Please sit down now. 

His grace said and he sit down beside me.

Mother : Well , they should get along. They will already be living under one roof after the wedding .

My mother who's sitting on my other side said and your grace laughed. 

Our parents just talked and talked about England , mostly about politics. Their stories are even greater than these foods prepared in front of us . This could already feed a village.  The Duke must be excited for this dinner, he prepared so much .

Jay : Sorry for leaving you a while ago. I don't want to cause a trouble in the market .

He whispered that made me stop from eating and look at him.

Cindy : So you're really the guy a while ago~

I said and he smirked. 

Jay : Yes *lean closer to my ear* madame~

He whispered having fun of me.

Cindy : How come you get into the market like that ? isn't dangerous for you?

I asked and he shake his head to disagree .

Jay : I can handle myself . My cap is already enough to cover my small face.

He said boastfully and as much as I wanted to roll my eyes and snob him , his noble title hold me back.

Jay : And in fact , not all people knew my face , because I actually didn't grew up here in Cambridge. I studied in Amsterdam from grade school to college . People here in Cambridge are not all familiar with my face . Even you, you don't know my face right ?

He said while I am pretending like slicing my steak and twirling my pasta although I never ate anyone of them . I'm just listening in everything he say and nod like I agree .

Cindy : So that's why you're not attending the gatherings .

I whispered to myself ,but he obviously heard it as well .

Jay : Gatherings?

He asked and look at me ,so I look back to him and nodded .

Cindy : Yes, gatherings . You know , dinner like this where high officials with their family and friends go .

I explained.

Jay : Oww~ yes , I never went there even at once .

He answered and I already continue eating. Escaping from his intimidating eyes .

Jay: I might look like untrustworthy , but you can rely on me .

He said and slice a steak , then put it on my plate .

Jay : My Lady. 

He said and smiled .

----Time skip----

After finishing our meal , his grace suddenly made an announcement that made me look at my parents in disbelief .

I'll be marrying the Duke's son next week already and what's more disappointing is that my parents wasn't shock about the news . Seems like they knew it already .

Dutch : You can already stay here tomorrow for the preparation .

Mother : Your Grace , don't you worry , I already told my maids to pack her things now . She will be back here early tomorrow .

She said and I just look down.  Gripping and holding my dress tightly under the table .

Why no one told me about it ? I'm the one getting married , but no one informed me about the date.

As I continue to giggle and bring all my anger on my poor dress , Jay suddenly speak up and hold my hand under the table . Massaging it to make it more relax and loose my grip.

Jay : I don't think her lady is already ready to move tomorrow. Maybe you can give her time to say goodbye to her home. It might be hard for her to leave that fast .

He said and the whole place became quiet .

I can feel that my mother would like to provoke him , but can't , because he's the son of the Duke . 

Dutch : Ow~ I see ~ you have some point son, Cindy , feel free to pick a day when you already want to come here for the preparation . My house would always be open .

She said getting rid of the awkward silence and say our goodbyes , so I get my hand back and bowed at him.

Cindy : Thank you , my lord.

I said ,but he get my hand again. Holding it tightly .

Jay : It's cold outside .

He said and look at the window .

Jay : Wear this.

He said taking off his suit and wear it to me.

Cindy : Thank you .

I said and bowed again before leaving. 

Does his parents told him to be nice to me this night ?

Cause if not .

I'm glad that his lord holds a soft and kind heart.