Chapter 19

•••
December, 1923. Amsterdam to Cambridge train station.
•••

Everyone is wearing the thickest clothes they could ever pull, while every streets are busy and colorful. Twenty years had past, but each and every corner were all still feels the same as she step inside the train while carrying her little fancy pouch. As she take steps, little by little, her eyes were glued on the man sitting on the same spot where she always wanted to seat on. It's been twenty years since the last time she saw him, but she's certain that it's him.

"Is this seat taken, sir?" She asked, standing in front of him.

"Ah---" He stuttered as he look up and stared at her.

"Don't you think it's a Deja Vu?" She asked and chuckled when he remove his bag and gave her a space to seat.

"When did you came to Amsterdam?" He asked.

"I just came here for a short vacation."  She replied and he chuckled.

"You're still taking short vacations in Amsterdam? Until now?" He asked as he remember the same reason why they met before. She went from a short vacation in Amsterdam.

"I haven't heard anything from you since you announced stepping back from your position. How are you?" She asked and he smiled.

"I'm good. I'm enjoying my life as a business man and traveler." He answered and she can't believe that the man who doesn't know how to trade in the market is now negotiating with others.

"You can't even get a discount before in the market, and now you're a business man?" She said and laugh politely.

"You can still remember that?" He asked and laugh too.

"Of course" she replied and smile.

She miss talking to him. Even if they just met for a short span of time. He's still dear to her. He never lost the spot she made for him on her heart. A best friend.

"How about you? What are you doing now?" He asked.

"I'm ...I'm writing novels." She replied that gave him joy.

"Really?!" He exclaimed in happiness that he couldn't hide. Making her look around and shy when she noticed that everyone in the train is looking at them.

"That's a great news. Since when did you started?" He asked.

"Just three years ago. It's the reason why I keep coming back to Amsterdam actually." She replied and her heart got filled with unmeasurable happiness cause he can still remember it, that she wanted to write a novel someday.

Twenty years ago, on that random night when he asked her to escaped the mansion and walk around, she got to mention that she would like to make a story that she still haven't seen in any movies she got to watch. She can't believe that he can still remember that.

"I have to buy that one." He said feeling so proud of her.

"That would be so embracing for me. Please don't." She said while laughing, but he doesn't look convinced.

"Oh by the way, you're going to stop in Cambridge too?" She asked changing the topic.

"Yes. I need to visit my shop there."

" Oh really? You made a shop in Cambridge? Is that part of your business?"

"Yes. We actually just opened yesterday, so I need to be there as a support and assist." He said and noticed that she's just holding a little bag.

"Funny how you used to go on a trip with lots of baggage with you, but now carrying a small one." He said out of nowhere.

"Well ... When you're old, you just bring the important things." She said and smile while looking at window and adoring the view.

"Time flew so fast." He said and sigh while also looking at the view.

"Yeah, you're right. I didn't thought that I'll be wishing it to stop when all my youth I've been wanting it to rush." She agreed and look lean on the chair as she close her eyes.

"It's a long ride. We better sleep." She said, but he asked something and she opened her eyes again.

"Are you free later? I'll be going somewhere. Maybe you wanted to come." He said.

"Ah ... No actually...me and Jay had planned to go somewhere as soon as I arrive." She replied and he smiled.

•••

"You met her?" Stacey asked and Jhansen Jacobs nodded while untying his necktie.

"How was she?" She asked hesitantly.

"Great, I guess." He answered and look at Stacey who's obviously getting anxious, so he walk toward her and hold her hand to stop her from thinking anything she shouldn't be thinking.

"What's with those worried eyes?" He asked while holding her trembling hands, making her stop from getting paranoid and look at him.

"Don't be bothered with the old times. Those are just part of our adventurous past. What's important is what we are now." He added and hug his wife.

"What happened from the past will remain from the past." He said and smile at her.

•••

"Surreal how everything from the past were like 2 seconds of rewind from yesterday, while daydreaming at the future is like driving on an endless road everyday." He said and paused for a moment.

" Just like when I reminisce all the things that happened to us, and how I cannot wait for more years with you." He added, looking at her with a smile so sweet. He look at her in her eyes and smile wider when she didn't look away. It just shows how their love for each other grew. She used to avoid his stares, even his glimpse, but it's fluttering how she can now keep her eyes on him.

" That day when you first brought me here with Jan and Stacey... it's not the best memory to recall." She said and chuckle.

"I know. But it's still a part of us that I like seeing cause you're there. " He answered that made her roll her eyes.

"Oh c'mon Jay Williams, were not in twenties anymore." She said cause she  never imagined that she'll be marrying a man that could give her butterflies in her stomach even when they're old.

Cindy's POV:

I look at him and I remember that day when we took our vows.

"When I saw you in the market and knew that you're the one I'll be marrying, I already made a promise to myself... That I'll make you happier than how happy I am. The joy that I feel right now is something I cannot explain anymore, and so starting from today, I will do my best to make you happy until you cannot put everything into words already. That's how I love you, my lady...My Cindy." Those are the exact words he said, and the exact promise he made.

I'm feeling every single words he told me. Nothing ever changed. The way he makes me feel special and dear. He keep showing his love to me... Just like the old times.