S o l a c e

A few days have passed since Phoenix decided to keep his distance, and still, he was surprised by Penelope's perseverance.

In the beginning, she tried to make conversation with him, but he had either ignored her or offered short, one-word replies. He could tell that it upset her but she still, made an effort. He was starting to question whether he had thought this 'plan' through.

Even now, the little thing looked at him from across the classroom, trying not to make it obvious that she was staring but he noticed, because he was doing the same.

Phoenix couldn't picture her swearing or even killing an ant; yet, he had come to the conclusion that her kind gestures held mal intent? If he said those words out loud, surely someone would laugh.

Penelope huffed and looked back down at her sketchbook, trying to focus on drawing the orange that sat in front of her, but she was finding it more difficult than usual.

For some reason, Phoenix had been avoiding her.

She wasn't sure if she was to blame or if he was going through something difficult and he just preferred his space. If it was the latter, she would be more than understanding but if it was the former she would gladly apologize for whatever it was she had done.

Perhaps he found her too clingy? Gosh, she hoped that wasn't the case, she was just trying to be friendly!

There was just something about him that drew her in, closer and closer as if she were being pulled by a reel of invisible thread. There was a certain aura that surrounded him, an un-telling and mysterious kind. She wanted to peel back his layers and find out more, she wanted to know him; even while her friends disagreed.

Her hand aimlessly scribbled on the page as she continued to daydream, a small smile replacing her pout.

It also didn't help that the boy was gorgeous.

She peeked to the left to catch a glimpse of him again, but quickly looked back down at her desk when she caught him looking right back at her.

He looked good today.

Grey sweatpants, Jordan's and a matching hoodie, she just knew that he smelled good too. Never mind the way his blue eyes were staring at her, past the strands of hair that laid messily on his forehead.

He had been looking at her like that for the whole week, but he'd been nothing but stand-offish when she so much as breathed in his direction.

Sighing once more, Penelope put her pencil down and rested her hand on her jaw as she looked down at her page, her head tilting to the side once she realized that she certainly did not draw the tasked orange.

Staring back at her was undeniably, a roughly drawn pair of eyes.

~

The next day, Phoenix found himself standing outside of Penelope's house.

He didn't know how he got there, he just let his feet lead him in a direction and the next thing he knew he was there.

He'd had yet another argument with his father, the topic being 'arriving home at suitable hour' to make sure he wasn't wandering the streets at night. Phoenix rolled his eyes once more merely thinking about it because since when has he ever had a curfew?

The argument was heated, and Phoenix left angry. But instead of resorting to the destructive behaviour he accustomed in this state of mind, strangely enough he found himself here; drawn to the only person who seemed to give a shit about how he was feeling and why he was feeling that way. How ironic that he had been doing everything in his power to push her away.

He scoffed at his own thoughts.

What was he going to do—knock on her door and say "hey, I know I've been a dick but let's forget about that, I just happen to get off from self-sabotage."

Phoenix stood there for a minute longer, before stepping back and deciding to go take a smoke instead.

He pulled out his lighter and lit a cigarette while walking away from Penelope's house. He let out a breath, his muscles instantly uncoiling at the intake of nicotine.

I've fucked it

"Phoenix!" He heard a bright voice call.

The boy's eyes widened, and he nearly coughed a lung out at the familiar voice. He hoped she didn't see him loitering outside her front porch like some stalker.

Turning to actually face her direction, his eyes softened when he saw the short brunette running from her house with a small corgi by her side.

He found himself growing concerned if he should continue smoking the cig in her proximity.

"Hey" Phoenix greeted when she came up to him.

He decided to toss the cigarette in the lawn to his right, not the best thing for the environment but that wasn't his concern at the moment.

Penelope smiled at his softer tone.

"I didn't think you were going to talk to me." She teased, although there was hesitant undertone to her statement.

Phoenix's stomach sunk a bit, knowing that his behaviour had hurt her feelings. He ran a hand through his hair and rubbed at the nape of his neck, guilt bleeding through his usual emotionless mask.

"Look, I'm sorry about that, it wasn't you; I was just...going through some stuff."

The girl appeared slightly relieved, but her smile didn't waver.

"Don't worry about it, everyone needs some time alone sometimes."

The Norwegian simply looked at her, studying her rounded eyes, gentle demeanour and of course her body that looked hot as fuck in that tight top and shorts.

How was it possible for someone to be so perfect?

Victim to his staring once again, Penelope looked away; although she was quite happy when the corgi barked at him, evidently trying to fight his way out of the leash.

Penelope giggled and bent down to pick up the chubby animal.

"I was just about to walk Oliver when I saw you." She told him.

Oliver barked and tried to lick her face, causing Penelope to laugh and put him back on the ground.

"Wanna join me?" She offered.

Phoenix had to prevent himself from nodding instantaneously. He offered a small smile and Penelope took that as a yes to her question.

"Great, let's go."