A p o l o g y

"Thanks for the ride." Penelope said softly. The couple was standing at her doorway, the atmosphere still slightly tense between the two.

As she unlocked the door Phoenix put his hand over hers.

"Can I come in?"

Penelope turned her head and looked at him hesitantly. Her mother being home wasn't the issue. She had him over multiple times despite that.

She wasn't sure if she wanted him to come in. As things stood, she wasn't particularly happy with him at the moment.

"I don't know..."

"Please baby. Just...let me take care of you." He said, his eyes softening.  

Penelope nibbled on her bottom lip unsurely before nodding, letting Phoenix follow her inside.

They walked up the stairs and into her room, closing the door softly behind them.

"I'm gonna change." She mumbled, wrapping her arms around her middle.

Phoenix's eyes were drawn to the oversized jacket that drowned her petite frame. She was so small and delicate and he wanted to punch himself for hurting her.

He let her disappear into the washroom before pacing around her room, running a hand down his face.

He tried really hard to refrain from punching a hole in the wall.

"hva fuck er galt med meg" He groaned to himself, running a hand through his hair.

What the fuck is wrong with me

He sat on the edge of the bed and tried to calm down. He didn't want to upset Penelope more than she already was.

Soon after, she came out of the bathroom. Phoenix's eyes hardened at the now purplish bruise near her temple. Seeing that she had removed all of her makeup, the colouring was more obvious.

He gestured for her to come over, and he spread his knees so that she could stand between them.

"Does it hurt?" He questioned, lightly brushing his fingers over the bruise.

Penelope shook her head, unintentionally leaning into his touch. No matter how upset she was at him, she always craved his touch.

Phoenix sighed and withdrew his hand, moving it to her waist.

He pulled her down to straddle his lap, his fingers weaving their way through the back of her hair.

"I know you're still upset with me."

Penelope flushed slightly and shifted her eyes to his shoulder.

She shrugged, not knowing how to respond to his statement.

A gasp passed her lips when she was suddenly underneath him, her hair splayed across the sheets. Her eyes were wide as they stared up at him and it was hard to decipher the expression on his face.

"You're my princess" Phoenix said after a moment of looking at her.

Penelope's face reddened but her mind was confused. What was he doing?

He laced his fingers in her hair once again and leaned in, his lips just barely hovering over hers. Penelope held her breath, her body tense in anticipation.