chapter 29 / subjects

3 hours earlier.

"We're sending them in a couple hours, sir."

"Good. Now don't disappoint."

[#]

"Awww... #%*!. That hurt." Clint groaned, as he patted glass out of his messy suit and held his head, in search of the young brunette.

"Uh... hey! Barton, down here!" said a raspy voice from under a couple pieces of demolished furniture.

"Coming!" he yelled, rolling up his sleeves as he began to unpile the rubble, lifting up a piece of a chair just enough so the small girl could just barely crawl out.

"Well finally you're up." she spat, catching her breath.

"How long have you been under there?" he asked, eyes wide, but becoming less stressed as he asked, "Wait, why didn't you just phase out?"

"Oh since these guys showed up!" she eye-rolled, discarding his last comment as 4 masked bodies had a blast tearing the place apart.

"Who are they?"

"I don't know. I've been keeping a low profile since I woke up." she gurgled, as she grabbed him by the neck and pushed him down so they weren't seen from behind the counter they were crouched behind.

"This looks bad."

"Really bad!" someone else echoed, as they flew back into the wall behind the bar, bottles crashing on the voice.

Turning around, Clint's mouth hung down as he grabbed the girl and dragged her towards him.

"Kate, what the hell are you doing here!?"

"Saving your $&&!"

"Who is this? Who are these guys? What's going on!" Kitty whisper-yelled.

"It's HYDRA. Telling by the ugly suits they've got on. It's definitely HYDRA." the girl in purple insisted, as she shot an arrow and nearly impaled one.

"Well what do they want with us?" Clint shrieked.

"What do you think, Barton? We're Avengers... these guys don't like good. And I hate to break it to ya... but we're the good here."

"Well duh! But these guys- they don't usually just show up... y'know? They have a motive."

"And that's exactly what we're working on-!" screeched Tony, as he butted in on the conversation and nearly got crushed by a large, familiar sword.

"These people- bad guys..." Kitty observantly said, "They have powers... like inhuman powers- like mutants. Coming to think of it- I've been so caught up in all this infinity stone crap, I've nearly forgotten that HYDRA is running around starting a mutant revolution!"

"Great. Nice to know now." Kate deadpanned.

"If these mutants are who I think they are, there's no stopping them. There's nothing we can do. We have to go!"

"What?! What do you mean Kitty! We can't just leave!" Clint shouted.

"We have to! Our lives depend on it!"

"Kitty, I'm gonna ask you one time... who are they?"

"Xavier's students. Now come on, we have to get out of here!"

Kitty took both Hawkeyes by the arm and led them out of the bar area, as they bolted towards the door but were stopped by a voice.

"Katherine Pryde... Otherwise known as Subject #68545... there is no escaping us. You cannot run." it boomed, an accent apparent.