Chapter 17

The days passed. The cold of the winter only got worse, freezing trees branches and small water puddles that were left over from the rain. The landscape perfectly reflected the beauty of December.

In the forest of Neldor, Luana, Lucas and Leo continued their search incessantly. They had been walking all day, and as before, the scenery hardly changed.

"We've been here for a week now," Luana remarked.

"Yeah. The time has gone by very quickly," Lucas replied.

"That's what worries me the most. A week has passed and I still feel like we're going in circles."

"Although I've made sure that it isn't the case myself, I'm starting to wonder if we're stuck in some sort of maze."

"I'm really worried. There's not even a way to contact the outside world to receive news of the palace."

"I'm sure they're all doing great. There's no need to worry. Your father is in good hands. The most important thing now is to find this plant."

"Yeah, you're right..."

After a few minutes of walking, sunset approached.

"We should camp here. Night will fall in a few minutes," Lucas suggested.

"Yeah. It's a very good idea," the princess replied, nodding her head.

With that, the small group settled down below a cluster of trees which was surrounded by a few bushes.

Lucas took charge of setting up the tent while Luana gathered some wood with Leo's help to light the fire.

After that, the young knight lit the fire and sat down in front of it. He gave Leo a piece of meat and began to prepare their dinner.

The young princess sat down next to him to help him.

"I think the only thing I'm going to miss when I get back to the palace is your cooking," said Luana, chuckling.

"It makes me happy to know that you enjoy my cooking," Lucas replied, smiling slightly.

"You're very talented, I must say."

"It makes me very happy to hear that from you. Especially since you're the first person to taste something I've cooked."

"The first person ?" she asked, confused.

"Yeah..." he replied, blushing slightly.

"I thought you used to cook for the other knights when you went on missions. You told me you took lessons for that reason," she added.

"Yeah, that's right. But I never had a chance to cook for them. Most of the time, they are the ones doing it as I am busy fulfilling my duties as a captain."

"Oh, I understand. They must love and respect you very much."

"Yeah. And the feeling is mutual. I consider them as my own family," he said, smiling affectionately.

He took the middle-sized wooden bawl that contained the dinner which consisted of vegetable soup with small pieces of meat, and put it between him and Luana to eat together alternately.

"Here it is."

"Thank you very much," she said, smiling at him.

The princess took the spoon and tasted the preparation.

"It's succulent," she exclaimed in joy.

"I'm glad you like it," he replied, smiling.

They continued to dine in silence.