Chapter 45

Five days later, the Imperial Knights finally arrived at the city of Veritas. The latter looked completely normal like any other ordinary city. Citizens were wandering freely through the streets of the city. Some were doing their shopping, others were immersed in their work while the rest strolled and had a good time. The atmosphere was the complete opposite of what the knights thought they will be finding.

The latters advanced slowly in the city's square, completely confused by its atmosphere.

"What's going on here? Is it possible that we went to the wrong city?" Matthew wondered.

"No, it's impossible. The sign clearly said we were in Veritas," Eric replied.

"But how come everything is completely normal? Doesn't it make more sense that this army terrorized the people who lives here?"

"I don't understand anything anymore..." he murmured, deep in thought.

While continuing to advance inside the city, the knights were even more amazed than before by seeing the streets very well decorated with garlands and flowers while merchants displayed their various products to the buyers.

Eric dismounted from his horse before advancing towards an old man who was passing by there and stopping him.

The latter had a wrinkled face with very pale skin, grayish hair and black eyes. He was short and thin and limped slightly when walking with his cane.

"Good morning, Sir. Please, are we in the city of Veritas?" he asked.

"Good morning, My Son. Yeah, this is indeed the city of Veritas. Why are you asking this? Are you lost?" said the old man with a big smile on his face.

"No... It's just that we have been informed that there was an army of thugs around here, led by two twin brothers... A certain Jonaral and Dogadar..."

"There has never been an army of thugs here, My Son. This town has always lived in peace and serenity."

The young knight froze in shock as he listened to this response before turning around to his teammates. He looked back at the old man once again and noticed that his eyes that had been black a few minutes before had turned green.

Eric approached him slowly, on his guard.

"In this place... there is only hell!" shouted the old man while transforming into a young man with blond hair and green eyes before attacking him.

The young knight quickly took his sword out and cut him into two pieces before turning back to his teammates. His eyes widened as he watched the supposedly townspeople also transform into the same young man.

"Clones... I can't believe it..." he whispered to himself.

"Watch out! They're clones! Attack them!" Matthew ordered, swinging his sword in all directions to savagely eliminate them.

The Imperial Knights killed one by one several clones that disappeared like dust each time they died.

Eric looked in all directions to try to find the real Jonaral when suddenly two clones came to attack him together before propelling him away.

"Eric! Be careful!" Matthew exclaimed in concern, running towards them to attack them in turn.

Unlike the previous clones, these two were much stronger and much more agile.

Eric and Matthew stepped back to take a short moment to catch their breath as the other knights took care of the remaining clones.

"You... You are Jonaral and Dogadar, right?" Eric asked breathlessly.